Fair or Foul?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
Today while we were on defense an opponent LH batter hit a medium ground ball that took a big bounce up the 3rd base line. Our 5F fielded the ball in foul territory. Her entire body was in foul territory. The PU called it a foul ball.

Opposing HC went crazy, and insisted it was fair since it bounced in fair territory and was caught in foul territory without hitting the ground in foul territory. PU would not budge on his call.

IMO, he got it right. I think if the ball is touched by anything (including the fielder) in foul territory and in front of the base, it is a foul ball, regardless of whether it was caught on a bounce from fair to foul territoryby a fielder. Yet that opposing HC was so insistent, I'm second-guessing my initial thoughts.

So for the experts out there--did the PU get it right or wrong?

Jun 22, 2008
It makes no difference where the fielder may be standing, it is the location of the ball when first touched. If the ball had not yet passed 1st or 3rd base and was over foul territory when touched, it is a foul ball.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
It makes no difference where the fielder may be standing, it is the location of the ball when first touched. If the ball had not yet passed 1st or 3rd base and was over foul territory when touched, it is a foul ball.

This^^^^^^