Facemask for infielders

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 13, 2010
My DD used one of the plastic bulletproof material masks or whatever (not the gameface) and hated it so much she wouldn't wear it which kind of defeats the purpose of having it. So, I started looking this Winter for an alternative. Saw the video on the Schutt and was interested but I couldn't buy it online and could not find a dealer in town that would get me one. Talked to a dealer here in town that said the RIP-IT was popular and much like the Schutt mask so I found a place online to buy one.

As luck would have it she liked it immediately. She's relatively small so the youth size fits her well.

May 7, 2008
It baffles me a bit that ASA has not taken a position on this. My dd played with older girls at a young age, so it wasn't optional. She is 14 and now wears a mouthguard (as of the fall) at short, but always wears a facemask while pitching. It has protected her numerous times, and she has witnessed a couple of severe injuries at tournaments involving girls without facemasks. As previously mentioned, witnessing an injury that could have been prevented (or less severe) is pretty convincing. She has had hers knocked off of her head by a ball coming off of the bat.

I also agree, the earlier you begin, the less adjustment is required. It didn't take long, but my hub had her wear it around the house for a few days.

Fastpitch...I may do some research and write that letter!

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
Saw 3 almost hits on 14U pitchers this weekend. One girl barely got glove up and the force of the ball pushed the glove into her face. She came out to the mound the next inning wearing a mask. Our pitcher caught 2 line drives next to her ear - she wears a mask, but it's still chilling to see. That's at 14U, what happens at 16 and 18?

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
It's good enough for Reese Witherspoon!

reese.jpg

Photo of Reese Witherspoon Playing Softball in LA

From her movie "How Do You Know" to be released in December 2010

"A romantic comedy centered on the love triangle between professional softball player Lisa Jorgenson, a corporate executive, and a major-league pitcher."

Apr 12, 2010
>>It's like saying that someone was still hurt while wearing a seatbelt, so why wear one at all?<<

Not exactly. You wouldn't put someone in a car, strap them in with tissue paper and say "There -- you're got a seatbelt, so you must be safe." There are standards for seatbelts; without standards, aren't you taking a "feel good" solution that you've done you're best, when really you might be leaving them at risk?

May 10, 2010
I think masks are a good thing, but I find it ironic they are not pushed for baseball also. And the face mask for batting helments in youth baseball. In choosing a mask we went with the game face. WE were at a tournament were there was a collision with ss wearing metal mask 2b was not wearing any thing. The 2b had cut on face which reguired an ambulance. Yes it was a freak accident, just shows we cannot protect or kids from every thing.

Our 14y/o daughter now plays pitcher and 3rd base in 18U. 3 years ago we looked into every face mask available to find the best one. We looked into how they were made and tests that were done. So, we settled on "The Beak" from Bangerz. Like UCLA's 3rd baseman or maybe short stop does. We bought one and put it on kickboxing mannequin/ dummy and set him on home plate. I cranked up the pitching machine and UNLOADED on it. I hit that sucker ten times right in the eyes before I got dents big enough to make it unusable. Since then I bought a game day, game face and a rip it. They all took a solid hit, but after one, it was done. That clear plastic face mask on, whatever it was called, shattered and cut my dummy pretty good. Each year we have stayed with the Bangerz beak. It covers the upper lip, nose and orbitals of the eyes. She can see well and its comfortable.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
The majority of the reason why I would want to wear a facemask is protection for the thousands of dollars of orthodontics I've had done. The Bangerz wouldn't provide that. If you were wearing it because of issues with your eye (I know of kids wearing it because they got hit by a ball, their eye popped out of socket, so they need protection for that), then it might would be fine. But why not protect the rest of your face?

Well Amanda. The Bangerz Beak is a bit differant than all of the other Bangerz masks because it comes further down over the upper lip and mouth area. Having worked in Oral and Reconstructive Surgery for over 15 years, 99% of all baseball / softball facial injuries are completely in the nose, forehead, eyebrow and cheekbone areas. The reason for this is the body's natural defensive manuever is to tuck the chin, even if turning away from the ball. This is true also for most car accidents involving hitting the stearing wheel. Watch batters and fielders in you tube clips that get hit, even with the slightest of reactions, the chin gets tucked. With the Bangerz, if you tuck your chin in the slightest, the beak then protects the lower jaw/chin and the teeth. Well, the BODY is protecting the teeth and lower jaw more than the mask is, but you know what I mean. Its because the body knows the bottom jaw is just dangling around down there and vulnerable. I'm not saying its perfect, nor are any of the others. I am basing my opinions of my education and training of the body's defensive mechanisms. I've pondered all the masks, and not one of them protect the TOP of the head if a player tucks their chin, but the beak didn't break off plastic pieces or get a ball wedged in the wires. I really wouldn't care if my DD or every player wore their batting helmet in the field, it a precaution and awesome in my mind. I know one girl that has 7 surgeries after being hit, and another about to undergo her second since her July hit in the face. The first girl still has no site in her right eye, but is starting to see more light. I don't work for Bangerz, or hate any of the others, just passing on info I have come up with on my own and our DD wears it in her lessons, pitching practice and team practice, but only infield so its just like being in the game. Be safe.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi