Face masks for any fielder any age?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 13, 2013
I wouldn't be surprised if they are mandatory in the future.

I hope not.

I deleted my previous post because I unintentionally annoyed 1fingeredknuckler. 11YOA DD wears a mask and I am a big fan of them but other people can do what they want. There is no reason they need to be mandated.

Mar 28, 2013
Both my DDs wear the mask in the circle and infield.I finally got to see why last weekend during a 12u A tourney.In the semi final My DDs leadoff drove a flaming shot that hit the opposing pitcher SQUARE in the face mask.bent the wire right to her face and knocked it clean off her head and she was knocked right to her back.The noisy fans went dead silent. Blues and coaches went running.everyone was panic stricken and in shock.after ten minutes she got back on her feet.bent back the wires on her mask and after the lead off left first base and hugged the pitcher the game resumed.If all parents were there to see that this would not even be a discussion.That $30 mask just saved that girl weeks in the ER and every tooth she had.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I hope not.

I deleted my previous post because I unintentionally annoyed 1fingeredknuckler. 11YOA DD wears a mask and I am a big fan of them but other people can do what they want. There is no reason they need to be mandated.

Like TouchMint I would not be surprised to see them mandated at some point in the not to distant future. I suspect a similar discussion took place when batting helmets were first introduced. Al biet not on an internet message board.

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
Both my DDs wear the mask in the circle and infield.I finally got to see why last weekend during a 12u A tourney.In the semi final My DDs leadoff drove a flaming shot that hit the opposing pitcher SQUARE in the face mask.bent the wire right to her face and knocked it clean off her head and she was knocked right to her back.The noisy fans went dead silent. Blues and coaches went running.everyone was panic stricken and in shock.after ten minutes she got back on her feet.bent back the wires on her mask and after the lead off left first base and hugged the pitcher the game resumed.If all parents were there to see that this would not even be a discussion.That $30 mask just saved that girl weeks in the ER and every tooth she had.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

That was the point i was making, only the catcher nearly hit my GD in the face, and if you would see this catcher throw, she gas a rocket, my GD probably might not now be modeling, "LIFE AFTER SOFTBALL"

When in doubt" WEAR A MASK"

Oct 25, 2009
I hope not.

Nope, no need to be mandated; those kids are young enough to make their own decisions.

PS: that was meant to be facetious.

Last edited:

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
Might be a good idea to explain the pros and cons, to them and parents, after serious injury little late, not saying they should be mandated, suggested to use, might be better.

Sep 21, 2011
Kaia Parnaby, University of Hawaii's ace pitcher, was recently hit with a comebacker that broke her nose and caused her to miss 2 games last weekend (both losses). She was also hit with a line drive in her freshman season that broke a bone in her face. It was interesting to hear her in an interview say that she will not wear a mask when she comes back because she doesn't want to show any weakness to the batters.

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
It was interesting to hear her in an interview say that she will not wear a mask when she comes back because she doesn't want to show any weakness to the batters.

I would think a simpler way to not "show weakness" would be to throw pitches that are harder to hit. Given that she's been hit in the face twice, the batters don't seem too intimidated!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi