Explaining to a coach about the high level swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 23, 2013
It's difficult to put it all down here. I have been contemplating what I was going to post and how to post it.

He will get their hips turned some but not enough IMO.

Another one he will tell me: "watch out for bat wrap" but in a sense, that is what I am teaching my kids. Coil/uncoil

Maybe 15 years ago girls were not near this athletic, or at least we didn't think they were. But I've seen some pretty darn athletic kids, even in 8u.

Isn't it mainly about timing with coil/uncoil? At least that is what I am seeing.

Thanks for the replies so far!

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I am finding that technique is more of a philosophical question than a right vs wrong question. It seems most agree on what a high level swing looks like but there is disagreement on how to get there.

I personally have given up trying to educate other parents/coaches unless they approach me and specifically ask me about it.

Choosing technique is the unalienable right of the $ponsor... :cool:

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Sometimes it's a fight you cannot win. A few years ago I had a disagreement with then the HS coach about hitting. He wanted level swing, twist the back foot (although he didn't say squish the bug), ect. When he told me that his DD (who was in College) said the College Coach wanted her to have a weight shift, he mocked it. So I built a very nice powerpoint with videos and all. Know what? He didn't want to see it, didn't care. He actually told another coach, "Who should you believe, a guy that read it in a book, or me that is actually teaching kids?" He still makes tons of $$$$$ teaching HE to pitchers... go figure

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I personally have given up trying to educate other parents/coaches unless they approach me and specifically ask me about it.

So I built a very nice powerpoint with videos and all. Know what? He didn't want to see it, didn't care.

Unless you're the head coach of your team, a professional hitting coach, or a former high-level player, I have learned that you will be thought crazy if you attempt to educate people on hitting. I still can't resist doing it sometimes, even sending video to parents. But it doesn't work. What I'm saying, in essence, is "I don't care what they say at N.C. State's hitting camp, that's not the way elite hitters do it.'' Who's going to buy that?

Send me the powerpoint. I'll look at it. :)

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
It's difficult to put it all down here. I have been contemplating what I was going to post and how to post it.

He will get their hips turned some but not enough IMO.

Another one he will tell me: "watch out for bat wrap" but in a sense, that is what I am teaching my kids. Coil/uncoil

Maybe 15 years ago girls were not near this athletic, or at least we didn't think they were. But I've seen some pretty darn athletic kids, even in 8u.

Isn't it mainly about timing with coil/uncoil? At least that is what I am seeing.

Thanks for the replies so far!
Just on the bold above. You will find that that some 'coaches' can't grasp turn away(coil) and turning back(uncoil) and think the hitter has enough time to make these moves. I'm just loosly using these terms. I have learned to keep my mouth shut and instruct my DD on the proper sequence. When they see your DD hitting game after game they may seek you out. They may not?

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I am finding that technique is more of a philosophical question than a right vs wrong question. It seems most agree on what a high level swing looks like but there is disagreement on how to get there.

I personally have given up trying to educate other parents/coaches unless they approach me and specifically ask me about it.[/QUOTE]

There it is right there.

Oct 23, 2013
Send it me too lol.

These were the answers I was afraid I would get. I had hoped someone had had success in converting an old school coach. :)

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Send it me too lol.

These were the answers I was afraid I would get. I had hoped someone had had success in converting an old school coach. :)

You probably won't be able to convert him, unless he has the willingness to learn and change. A lot of people don't like being told they've been doing things wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1