Ethics Question - Accepting a Spot on a Team, but still looking?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Be absolutely SURE it is the player.... We have an org who does this locally - they publish their teams and 'selected players' on their website with whoever turned up to their tryouts before they even contact the players to offer them spots. They claim it is how they announce teams, but really it is to try and stop other teams offering spots to players they want.

Good point. There are also two girls around here in the same age group with the same name. Not like Sue Smith, but not off the wall either. We saw that roster and thought hey, wait a minute, then realized different girl. :cool:

Jul 17, 2016
We had a coach that kept telling all the parents who had kids try out who he'd offered to. It was a new team, so he was trying I guess to assure those that they were going to have players. It made me wonder what all those parents thought when most of those kids didn't take the offer. Seemed almost counter productive.

I don't think there was any gamesmanship going on. I just think it wasn't a well thought out idea.

I might be overly sensitive to things like this based on my work background, though, where privacy and security are very important.

May 30, 2014
Oregon
Went through the tryout tour the first time this season and it was interesting and educational to say the least. The team DD really hoped to play for had the latest tryout and was a bit of a reach which which meant it was going to be at least a 2 week process and visiting at least 3 teams.

DD did get early offers and we did as suggested here with them. Thank the coach and tell them that we have a few more tryouts planned and we'll get back to them when we're done. They all were gracious and accepted that as reasonable.

But here is where it gets weird. Day before the last tryout I start getting texts and emails from others in the local SB community about my DD being committed to team X. We had not made any promises or commitments to any teams at that point. We had declined one that we decided was too far away (trying not to string anybody along), but no commitments yet.

I was unable to track down where this rumor started (but also wanted to stay out of the drama so I didn't try too hard). However, I do wonder if that is a common thing? Starting rumors about player X being committed somewhere to somehow tip another player one way or another? It was frustrating to have to keep correcting the assumption.

At the end of it all she found a team she's excited about and the other coaches were very mature and professional when we sent the emails politely declining the remaining offers. For those wondering... no, DD did not end up on team X.

Nov 18, 2013
Went through the tryout tour the first time this season and it was interesting and educational to say the least. The team DD really hoped to play for had the latest tryout and was a bit of a reach which which meant it was going to be at least a 2 week process and visiting at least 3 teams.

DD did get early offers and we did as suggested here with them. Thank the coach and tell them that we have a few more tryouts planned and we'll get back to them when we're done. They all were gracious and accepted that as reasonable.

But here is where it gets weird. Day before the last tryout I start getting texts and emails from others in the local SB community about my DD being committed to team X. We had not made any promises or commitments to any teams at that point. We had declined one that we decided was too far away (trying not to string anybody along), but no commitments yet.

I was unable to track down where this rumor started (but also wanted to stay out of the drama so I didn't try too hard). However, I do wonder if that is a common thing? Starting rumors about player X being committed somewhere to somehow tip another player one way or another? It was frustrating to have to keep correcting the assumption.

At the end of it all she found a team she's excited about and the other coaches were very mature and professional when we sent the emails politely declining the remaining offers. For those wondering... no, DD did not end up on team X.

Congratulations on finding a team your DD is excited about!

There always seemed to be a parent who loves to hear themselves talk. Some like to spread rumors and start drama. Others want to know everything and will say "I heard Susie is going to play on XYZ" trying to get information. Neither is worth wasting any time over.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi