Equipment recommendations for new 10u team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 3, 2012
Iowa
Ok, so I have been asked to coach a 10u team. I “agreed” to do this, to help the program (yes I have a daughter on the team). Team will be new, but the club is already established (I have a 16 and 12 year old on the two other teams). I have a coaching degree, and have coached youth programs for many years and helped with HS and JH athletics here and there, so I don’t want this to turn into a “RUN AWAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN” thread.:)

What I am looking for, is what equipment for practice or games should I focus on, things maybe that the other teams forget about. I have been looking around, and here is my list for starting the team. We won’t be playing games until the spring, so I have some time, but will start to throw and hit yet this fall. Some of this will be hand me downs from the other teams from previous years, but not much.

Catchers gear
Two batting tee’s
Portable hitting screen
2 dozen softballs
1 dozen lite flight balls and\or 1 dz plastic waffle type balls
4 batting helmets
Buckets and\bags for balls
Team equipment bag
Bats
Maybe a wagon for game days

Am I missing anything? I appreciate any input, this forum has been great. Thanks in advance. Sorry if this or something similar has been posted before, I looked around a little, but didn't find what I was looking for.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Add: throw down bases/home plate.
Add: 6 or 12 TCB balls (15 oz BB size)

re portable hitting screen: get a Bownet rather than fold/pop up nets

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Encourage the girls to get their own helmets. One year, head lice spread throughout the league, due to sharing helmets. Also, not too many teams supply bats, anymore.

I carry a water cooler, too. Because there is just never enough water. Also, a first aide kit.

Apr 9, 2012
Put cold spray in that first aid kit. its like hurt be gone magic spray :)

Music player/boombox-girls love warming up to music:)

Jul 3, 2012
Iowa
Thanks for all the feedback. One of the biggest things I forgot was the water cooler, thats a biggie.

I will have to look into the TCB balls. I actually saw them at a sporting goods store, and couldn't figure out what they were. Sounds like a good idea.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
If you get the TCB balls and the TCB wiffles, you can skip the net (and the total cost will be a wash).

If you are lucky enough to have a kid on your team that really wants to play catcher, encourage them to get their own equipment. It's important to get a proper fit, and most of the time you can't do that with "team" equipment. Personally, I would hate being the second or third catcher of the day sharing the equipment on a 95 degree day. Also, the head lice problem extends to catchers helmets.

Jun 13, 2012
Coach masks (2) for warming up your pitchers. Most of the parks where my U10 team played had rules that would result in the coach being ejected if parents/coaches were caught warming up pitchers without appropriate face protection (batting helmets with cages do not count). even if not absolutely required by rule, i'd make them a really strong recommendation - espcially at the U10 age where they can get some decent velocity - and still somehow forget to check to be sure their catcher is paying attention. I also got myself a cup for working with my DD. She's managed to sack me a few times over the last couple years....

I'm assuming that your kids all have their own bats?

I think you might be a little light on your foamies/wiffles. I think I have closer to four dozen or so. If you're running a hitting practice - by the time you have five-six stations up and running you might find that the kids are spending more time chasing balls than swinging.

First aid kit - appropriate to the level of the ticketd first aid providers. We generally carry a relatively advanced kit which does not include oxygen or an AED, but does include supplies to be able to deal with the majority of the minor injuries, and basic lifesaving if required (ie airway management, collars, SAM splints). Along with a dozen chemical icepacks.

Portable bat hanger (our dugouts dont have & being able to keep them all together made a big difference)

6' long wood curtain rod/ large diameter dowel (for sliding practice) & better still, find youself someone who has a sliding mat that you can borrow to teach sliding with.

Banner. Yeah, not required, but at the same time, not expensive either and is valuable to the kids. You have some time for this one!

Rope. Not sure if you have to set up your diamonds yourself or not, if you do, get yourself a long (non-stretchy) rope & mark it with baselines, pitching distance, pitching circle diameter - a little work up front will save you hours and hours over the course of a season where you will build up *one or two* diamonds... LOL

Thats all I can think of, for now!

Have fun!

Jul 3, 2012
Iowa
Ok, have a dumb question to add on.
Most of these girls (including myself and my daughter) will be moving up to 12u NEXT year and I don't want to spend much on 11" softballs knowing they will be moving up. Is there any harm in using cheaper slowpitch softballs for practice? I only need the 11" balls to last a year? Looking at around 5 - 6 tourneys this year, a few in the spring and a few in the fall. Thoughts?

Apr 9, 2012
I use what ever cheap balls I can find for hitting. Pitching wise use the specific ball youll be playing with as pitchers can be selective.

You can find 11" balls for 30$ a dozen on ebay-new. pswenterprises. I use them and love them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414