Eating Disorders and our athletes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 15, 2009
The past 18 months have been a rough one for sure. After playing competitive softball for 12 years at the highest level, my daughter revealed to my wife and I that she had a eating disorder (bulimia and anorexia) that had gotten totally out of control. BOOM! Big Surprise to us to say the least. Obviously softball stopped and treatment started. After hospitalization and intense therapy, she is doing great and is on the mend.

During her couple weeks in the hospital, she noted that the majority of the girls in her unit were competitive athletes just like her. This was a very curious revelation. As a result, she started to research the strange correlation between competitive athletics and eating disorders. What she has found is that there is very limited information available on the subject.

In order to find this correlation and develop the educational materials to prevent girls from falling into this trap, she has formed a non-profit research foundation: The Mary Streech Research Project. With the non-profit formed, she is out working on getting the grants to perform this work. You can follow her progress at www.marystreechproject.com

My reason for posting is to share the story of what we have gone through is the hope that it helps us stop these nasty disorders at the early stages. As her mantra states "information is essential". Please share this with all the girls you know.

Apr 30, 2010
Artic Circle
Spicolo,

I was in the same boat only we caught it much younger. I think that our kids are type "A" personalities and with that comes trying to control everything in their lives (Practice time, school, extra conditioning, musical instruments etc.) and that does not leave them time to control the rest of their lives (Food, cleaning their room, free time). I am glad that we caught it early enough and she is doing very well right now.

One other frustration we had was that our, and I have been told most, insurance companies do not cover going to see a dietician. they will cover the counciling but not seeing someone who can tell them how and what to eat.

Glad your daughter is doing better!

John

Oct 3, 2009
The past 18 months have been a rough one for sure. After playing competitive softball for 12 years at the highest level, my daughter revealed to my wife and I that she had a eating disorder (bulimia and anorexia) that had gotten totally out of control. BOOM! Big Surprise to us to say the least. Obviously softball stopped and treatment started. After hospitalization and intense therapy, she is doing great and is on the mend.

During her couple weeks in the hospital, she noted that the majority of the girls in her unit were competitive athletes just like her. This was a very curious revelation. As a result, she started to research the strange correlation between competitive athletics and eating disorders. What she has found is that there is very limited information available on the subject.

In order to find this correlation and develop the educational materials to prevent girls from falling into this trap, she has formed a non-profit research foundation: The Mary Streech Research Project. With the non-profit formed, she is out working on getting the grants to perform this work. You can follow her progress at www.marystreechproject.com

My reason for posting is to share the story of what we have gone through is the hope that it helps us stop these nasty disorders at the early stages. As her mantra states "information is essential". Please share this with all the girls you know.

Thanks very much for sharing. I took a look at the website and it is awesome. You must be very proud of your daughter for taking a tough situation and deciding to make it something where she helps others.

Dec 15, 2009
Andy - Indeed, we are very proud of her. We thank God everyday that she spoke up before it was too late to effect a change. The tough thing as parents was "missing" any of the signs. Like most people who read this forum, we are pretty involved and attentive parents and still did not see what was going on.

John - I glad you Daughter is doing well. Curious what she thinks of Mary's project.

Greg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32