Easton catcher helmet question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 25, 2015
The Frozen Tundra
Do to the shape of DD's head Easton is the only one that feels comfortable to her. Was going to buy her a M7, but found last years Mako and the M10 for same price on line. Is one better then the other. Only difference I can find is the type of foam.

Mar 10, 2016
Twin, I can't answer all parts of your question but what I can tell you is that my DD has last year's Mako and after summer, fall and training this winter it has held up very well. I had purchased one for my son and it fit her head so well she wanted one. If you can get that Mako for under $100, it's a steal. The lining is removable and washable as well.

Feb 5, 2013
My DD has the Mako, but we tried all the Eastons. The main difference with is the Mako has a different mount for the mask to the helmet that is supposed to be shock absorbing. They are mounted with rubber mounts instead of the normal metal "clips" that are screwed to the helmet.

The M10 has the same foam as the Mako, without the shock absorbing mounts.

The M7 and other Eastons (Grip etc.) have a lower quality foam.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I have had numerous catchers, including my DD wear the Easton helmets. I have also had several of them suffer a concussion. I can't tell you whether it was due to an improper fit or not since everyone that I have checked seems good and tight. I'm not saying that the padding is inadequate nor am I saying that concussions don't happen with other brands. However, since I've bought DD the Wilson Shock FX 2.0, She's taken more than a few hard fouls off the facemask and had no problems. She also had the ALL-STARS helmet with no issue as well. It's just that the Wilson was less expensive at the time I went to replace the other one. One caveat, the Wilson did offer her a little bit of a challenge when switching from the All-star since the upper bar on the mask is slightly lower and impeded her view until she got used to it. Now she will wear nothing else but the Wilson as far as she's concerned. She absolutely loves it. To each their own. Personally, I think your DD's preference far outweighs most other considerations if you purchase any manufacturers top of the line helmet. The safety should all pretty much be comparable IMO. The only difference would be comfort and fit which is where your DD's preference comes in.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877