Earning playing time -- is it always possible?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I've been reading some of the other discussions about playing time with interest. It seems we want to make it a black or white issue when the truth is there's a lot of gray, at least in my experience.

The gist has been that it's too bad kids today don't understand that they have to earn their playing time. Rather than fighting their way into the starting lineup they jump to another team.

Sometimes that's true. But in my experience, there are also many cases where that player is never going to be able to EARN playing time because she's never given the opportunity to do so. No matter how hard she works in practice or how many extra reps she takes, it doesn't matter.

You see this a lot in Daddyball (which around here seems to be migrating to Mommyball, but it's the same basic principle). Daddy decides DD and her friends are the best, and the girls who's from somewhere else doesn't get a second look.

You'll also see it with coaches who are obsessed with their won-lost record. They'll put what they believe to be the best team on the field every single game, even pool play and friendlies. Meantime, that kid who's been fighting to show what she can do isn't given the chance in any meaningful way. As my old pal Ray Minchew says, "How can you build a track record if you're never put on the track?"

So what do you think? Should that kid just keep pushing on and stay on that team where the coaches don't think much of her? Or is she smarter to seek out another situation where the playing field is more level and she at least has a shot at actually earning her playing time? And how do you tell the difference?

Even at U of A, I'd have to say if Coach Candrea doesn't think I can play, I'd rather find another coach who does rather than ride the bench for four years.

Mar 13, 2010
I'd find another team. I had the same situation as a teen. It's not till I changed as an adult that I got playing time. And I went to a better team! I wish I'd gone earlier.

The idea of little girls 'earning' playing time is repugnant to me. They will never get better unless you put them on the diamond in the position. I also am not a fan of the idea of eight and nine year olds needing to put hours of time outside of practice to even be considered! Are these little girls or machines?!

Jun 24, 2011
Your post explains, in a nutshell, my 9-year-old's experience with her first travel ball team, which she joined after initially being asked to participate in team workouts. After five friendly tournaments, in which the team went 0-13-2, DD said she wanted to play in the local rec league's fall program, where she would get on the field for games. As her primary position is catcher, and the pitching in the fall league is rather inconsistent, it's a good fit for her to get lots of game experience in blocking and throwing out runners to improve her skills.

The travel team, imo, was Daddyball at its finest. The three coaches' daughters were, not surprisingly, named the tri-captains of the team. Six girls from a tightknit clique of families played every inning in every game, while the remaining three spots were a revolving door of players - eight girls came and went during our three month association with the team.

DD will probably play travel again, but we'll take what we learned in our first go-round and apply it in the future. We'll check out as many teams as we can via tryouts and be much more discriminating in assessing the coaches and player attitudes.

Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
No kid should ever stay on a team where the coach doesn't think much of her.
If a kid is putting in the work and improving any coach will give her a shot. The key word there is coach. Might not not be where the kid/parent wants.
Entitlement has no place in sports.
Any coach, especially in competitive sports, will field what they perceive to be their best team, based on ability, attitude, and/or effort. if not I wouldn't want my child on their team.

Dec 19, 2008
If they can't get the chance to prove themselves, move on.

Example: When my DD was 1st year 12's, she got on a travel team that was made up of girls that were all from the same town and school. My DD was the outsider (and so was mom and dad). She was never given the chance to pitch, except in practice. We moved on. 2 years later, DD is in the circle and faces that team, and shuts them out 7-0. That coach rips into his girls saying you just got your asses beat by her, and she's not even good enough to be on this team. Now, every time we face them, we beat them, whether it's DD's travel team, or her high school team. Now all but one of their pitchers try and act so nice to her when they see her. She just laugh's it off.

I don't mean to seem hateful - but that is pretty sweet the way it has turned out.

May 25, 2010
Young players need to be on teams where they're getting plenty of playing time, regardless of how it's determined.

Mar 3, 2011
Ohio
Politics, politics, politics...

Between that and Daddyball, kids in our area get blackballed from teams and opportunities. And it seems to be the organizations that profess the loudest how they only select the best players. The louder they profess it, it louder the lies or so it seems. It's really too bad because some people just take it all way too seriously as if they can manufacture star athletes like a factory.

We just had a scrimmage this past weekend and played a team that my DD tried out for and was ignored. First was the mother bragging about how her DD struck out every batter at some showcase the previous weekend and how all of these colleges are falling all over her (yeah, right). Second, this team passed up my DD. My DD's primary position is catcher and their catcher struggled badly with the game.

There was a certain sweetness in shelling that pitcher and stealing home on that catcher 6 times. Didn't say anything, no gloating or nothing, but a sweet smile on DD's face.

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
For me in pool games..everyone plays and I have 15 girls on my 12U!! Even in the league we are bin..everyone plays..whoever doesn't start the 1st game will start the 2nd game! All players also play two positions per game normally switching every two innings! Those who are on the bench wiil eithe rpinch hit or get in the game later. All the girls know this and all the parents know this!

May 26, 2010
Central NJ
Sometimes there's really no choice but to move on. With my DD's last travel team, at one of the tournaments she caught EVERY fly ball in warm-up (and some were pretty difficult to catch) but sat the entire game. Meanwhile, the coach's DD missed two VERY easy pop flys in left field IN THE FIRST INNING. After the coach's DD stayed in the game and my DD continued to ride the pine, we knew it was time to move on after the season ended.

Jul 26, 2010
Kids get playing time based on what they do in the box, not what they do on the field. It's an unfortunate truism, as we all know that while hits win games, defense wins championships.

If the number of coaches kids on the team is greater then 2, stay away from that team. It just isn't worth it.

-W

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad