Dropping Barrel of Bat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 24, 2008
Does anyone have any drills, tools or suggestions on how to get someone to stop dropping the Barrel of the bat before hands move to the ball?

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Not knowing the age.I see some players first move is to drop bat/hands down to get on what they think is the correct plane of the ball.Then find out that the bat path is to low and try to make a on the fly adjustment.This will then have them angling the bat in an upward path. Most will swing under the ball.I would use the high tee drill.Put the tee on a upside down bucket.I would have the tee about shoulder or top of chest height.If they drop hands/bat there is no way to hit the ball.Hands should be above the ball.There is more to the swing,but this is what you ask for help in dealing with.Hope it helped.

Mar 3, 2011
GA
The 2 tee drill will work also. Put a 2nd tee behind the 1st tee set a little higher than the 1st tee. If they hit the back tee before hitting the ball, it will let them know that the barrel is dropping or they are dropping their hands. Hope this helps!

Jul 24, 2008
I am sorry, I should have given her age. She is 15 and just finished her second year of 14U travel ball. We are looking at some more competitive teams for next year, but her hitting is not her strong point and her coach said that she drops the barrel of the bat, so I am trying to work on this before tryouts in a few weeks. Thanks for the advice.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Video of her swing would help.Does he mean her hands drop?You need to drop the barrell down to the ball. But it is the way that you get the barrell down to the ball that makes a big difference.If your DD just drops the barrell of the bat down as she starts her swing that is not good.Not seeing her swing,is she leading with her elbows?Is her problem more of a bat drag?This is what some will do at a younger ages with slower pitchers.When they make contact it goes far.But when a player gets older and the pitchers get faster this type of swing doesn't work.Makes for a long swing.

Jun 23, 2011
NC
Not sure exactly what you mean by dropping barrell before hands move to ball, but dont teach her to take her hands to the ball, start there, second I like use a high tee to force players to keep their hands at the top of the zone, try to build that into her swing hands stay at the top of the zone.

Oct 10, 2011
Both the high tee drill and the two tee drill worked wonders for my DD. She just hit about 50 balls a day just on those two drills. She hated it at first as she beat the crap out of the tees, but now she only hits one occasionally.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC