Dropped Third Strike

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
In this case, the interference would have to be pretty blatant (notice I didn't use the term "intentional"). That is because the person who caused the problem is the catcher, not the batter. You better be 100% that the batter absolutely interfered with an out before protecting a defensive player who can't catch a ball.

Let me see.....who failed to put the strike into play?.......hmm, that's a tough one......NO, it is not. This is the B/BR's failure as much as it may be the catcher's.

If the BR makes contact with the ball that deprives the defense the ability to make a play on the ball, it is INT. It does not have to be intentional.

Mar 2, 2013
Let me see.....who failed to put the strike into play?.......hmm, that's a tough one......NO, it is not. This is the B/BR's failure as much as it may be the catcher's.

If the BR makes contact with the ball that deprives the defense the ability to make a play on the ball, it is INT. It does not have to be intentional.

Thank you for repeating that it does not have to be intentional. Someone may have missed that.

Feb 22, 2013
I was watching the first game of the Texas A&M and Baylor game today. Runner on 1st base with nobody out. Batter has two strikes on her and gets fooled on a changeup that the batter swings at and misses, strike three and the batter is out. But the catcher didn't catch the ball and the ball ends up under the catcher's legs. Batter takes off for 1st base as runner on 1st steals 2nd base. Catcher fires the ball to 1st base where 1st baseman is standing and the 1st base umpire raises his/her fist as if he/she is calling the batter who is already out, out again.

My only question is, what is the proper umpiring mechanic for this play? I've always seen the home plate umpire put the fist in the air and signal the out. This was the first time that I saw the first base umpire ring a girl up that was already out.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
And, unfortunately, it is a misnomer that appears in the actual rule book in several spots. From a layman's standpoint, I guess that the two terms have become interchangable. If you mention one or the other somebody should know what you're talking about. As far as a strict definition of the rule and how it applies, uncaught third strike best fits.

The rule says that a batter is out when the third strike is caught. For it to be caught, the pitch needs to be airbourne, or in-flight, from the time it leaves the pitcher's hand to the point where it's contacted by the catcher. So if it hits the ground, the plate, the batter or the umpire before reaching the catcher, it is no longer in-flight and can longer be legally caught.

To retire the batter, the catch of a third strike needs to meet all of the same criteria as a catch of a batted fly ball. It needs to in-flight, it can't be caught with detached equipment, it must at some point be securely held in the hand or glove, etcetera, etcetera. If all those conditions aren't met, you don't have a catch and you don't have a caught third strike.

I was under the impression if a batter swings at a ball that hits them they are out and they cannot advance to first by virtue of the pitch not being caught. In my old ASA handbook 6.A.1 says the batter is out if they swing at a third strike and the ball hits them.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I was under the impression if a batter swings at a ball that hits them they are out and they cannot advance to first by virtue of the pitch not being caught. In my old ASA handbook 6.A.1 says the batter is out if they swing at a third strike and the ball hits them.

Sure, if a batter swings at a pitch and misses it, then the ball hits the batter, it is a dead ball and a strike.

What I posted doesn't contradict that. I was saying that if the pitched ball touches anything other than a defensive player it can no longer be caught because it is no longer considered to be in-flight- which is a true statement.

Jun 24, 2013
What about this scenario?
My DD came up with this. batter at bat, 2 strikes on them, no balls (or less than 3). DD realizes that the ball is going to be high and uncatchable so she swings (purposely missing the ball) and then takes off for first for a "dropped" 3rd strike.

Legal or not?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
What about this scenario?
My DD came up with this. batter at bat, 2 strikes on them, no balls (or less than 3). DD realizes that the ball is going to be high and uncatchable so she swings (purposely missing the ball) and then takes off for first for a "dropped" 3rd strike.

Legal or not?

Absolutely legal.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors