Dropped third strike play

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 30, 2019
Everyone says defense must know the situation, but shouldn't the offense know the situation as well? Rules and definitions matter. Within the definition of interference is the word confuse the defense. I know there are case plays that the defense must know the situation and I agree when you can deem it that the runner accidentally ran to first immediately after a dropped strike 2, but with a runner first on the offensive coach and batter should also know the situation, they should not get a free pass because defense needs to know the situation. What is good for the goose needs to be good for the gander.

Same type situation of defense/offense knowing situation. Happened earlier to me in a HS JV game and would like your thoughts.

R1 on first 2-2 count. Pitch is delivered ball hits the ground prior to reaching the plate, however the batter swung and missed. The R1 takes off to second, there is a little bit of cat-n-mouse between the catcher and R1, since the catcher fielded the pitch cleanly after the bounce. The runner stopped runner when she noticed the catcher had the ball. Catcher is now halfway between plate and circle R1 is about 20-30 ft from 2nd. At this time, the retired batter now takes off to first. Catcher seeing this throws to first to make the out on the already retired batter at 1st. When the retired batter took off to 1st the runner broke to 2nd. There was a chance for a play at 2nd.

I called interference on the retired runner because she did not need to do what she did and it confused the defense and caused a throw to 1st which is, by definition, interference. R1 was then out which happened to be the 3rd out of the inning and ended that half.

Jun 22, 2008
Everyone says defense must know the situation, but shouldn't the offense know the situation as well? Rules and definitions matter. Within the definition of interference is the word confuse the defense. I know there are case plays that the defense must know the situation and I agree when you can deem it that the runner accidentally ran to first immediately after a dropped strike 2, but with a runner first on the offensive coach and batter should also know the situation, they should not get a free pass because defense needs to know the situation. What is good for the goose needs to be good for the gander.

Same type situation of defense/offense knowing situation. Happened earlier to me in a HS JV game and would like your thoughts.

R1 on first 2-2 count. Pitch is delivered ball hits the ground prior to reaching the plate, however the batter swung and missed. The R1 takes off to second, there is a little bit of cat-n-mouse between the catcher and R1, since the catcher fielded the pitch cleanly after the bounce. The runner stopped runner when she noticed the catcher had the ball. Catcher is now halfway between plate and circle R1 is about 20-30 ft from 2nd. At this time, the retired batter now takes off to first. Catcher seeing this throws to first to make the out on the already retired batter at 1st. When the retired batter took off to 1st the runner broke to 2nd. There was a chance for a play at 2nd.

I called interference on the retired runner because she did not need to do what she did and it confused the defense and caused a throw to 1st which is, by definition, interference. R1 was then out which happened to be the 3rd out of the inning and ended that half.
You do know that there is a rule saying it is not interference when a batter runs on a d3k situation, right? In NFHS it is 8-6-Art 16 c. Every ruleset has this rule.

As for the original situation of running on strike 2, NFHS has a case play involving a batter advancing to first on ball 3 and other runners also advancing. The ruling is that the defense is responsible for knowing the situation and making the appropriate play. It is the exact same thing for the original post, the defense needs to know the situation and play on the correct runners, not the batter who is not a runner.

Jun 18, 2023
You do know that there is a rule saying it is not interference when a batter runs on a d3k situation, right? In NFHS it is 8-6-Art 16 c. Every ruleset has this rule.
not a dropped third strike situation. Runners/batters put out have a responsibility to leave the field of play, not run around causing confusion.

Jun 22, 2008
not a dropped third strike situation. Runners/batters put out have a responsibility to leave the field of play, not run around causing confusion.
Believe what you want but I gave the rule and it is specifically for that situation.

Jun 22, 2008
with 1 out and a runner on first, batter is out on third strike. return to dugout. don't run around the field like a maniac.
And I cited the rule that interference does not apply in that situation. So again, believe what you like.

Jun 18, 2023
the rule you cited SPECIFICALLY says "a runner continuing to run and drawing a throw could be considered interference". The dropped third strike rule is not in effect. The penalty is the closet runner out. The call Nasolis made was correct.

Jun 11, 2013
This is an area that there should be a rule change. I know the defense should know the rules and count but the offence shouldn't get a benefit for not knowing (or even worse knowing and trying to exploit the situation). I would make it a dead ball all runners return to previous base if you run on in either with < 3 strikes or try and run with 1st base occupied < 2 outs. At higher levels it's not that common but it happens enough at low levels that it's worth a simple rule change.

Jun 22, 2008
Then lobby for a rule change, but until the rule is changed it isn't against the current rules.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619