Dropped third strike play

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 25, 2018
I think situations like this one, and illegal pitches, don’t get called under the guise of “game management” or “don’t go looking for trouble”.

As others have said, no where in the rule book is it spelled out that the defense has to know the situation while the offense gets to skate.

Some might view calling the batter out for interference as a “gotcha” call, fair enough. But that call is within the rule as written; an umpire doesn’t have to discern intent for any player.

As I said, I think the better call would be to kill it, bring the batter back to the box and place the runner on third. From a game management point of view, I think that’s the best call.

Now, an umpire could be criticized for doing that, but this situation isn’t black and white.

Feb 1, 2023
A friend described this recent play to me:

Runner on 2nd, 2 outs a 2-1 count on the batter; pitcher throws a change up that the batter swings at misses. Ball hits the dirt before the catcher catches it. Runner on 2nd broke for third on pitch release.
Batter takes off for first thinking it was strike three. Catcher instinctually throws to first, runner now on third goes home on the throw to first. Umpire brings the batter back to the plate to finish the at bat, run allowed to count.View attachment 29555

Right call? Could a case be made for interference, since the batter confused the catcher?
I am only a second year umpire and this situation happened in a U12 game my first year. When the batter swung at strike two and started to run I immediately said strike two a little louder than normal. Was that the right thing to do? I’m not sure. But the runner stopped running and the catcher stopped what would have been a throw to first.

Also the batter and catcher (and sometimes the coaches) lose track of the count all of the time which is why I say the count after each pitch

Feb 1, 2023
I am only a second year umpire and this situation happened in a U12 game my first year. When the batter swung at strike two and started to run I immediately said strike two a little louder than normal. Was that the right thing to do? I’m not sure. But the runner stopped running and the catcher stopped what would have been a throw to first.

Also the batter and catcher (and sometimes the coaches) lose track of the count all of the time which is why I say the count after each pitch
Sorry my post got cut off. I think interference or ball four would be a stretch but I like the idea of dead ball, strike two, resume play.

Jun 22, 2008

You will eventually grow tired of giving the count after every pitch and as you progress to higher levels of play the players are better at remembering the count. Generally speaking I believe it is recommended to announce the count after 3 pitches as you are now possibly in a situation where the count can end up in an out or walk to the batter. The count would be either 3-0, 2-1, or 1-2. 2 of those situations a change in status to the batter.

As for announcing strike 2 louder, nothing wrong with that. Same as a batter taking off for first on ball 3 thinking its ball 4. I will announce a little louder, thats only 3. From that point on its up to the teams to play ball.

May 29, 2015
From the You Can’t Make This Up file.

Freshman baseball game today … Runner on third. Batter takes off on ball 3. I yell “That’s only three!” The third base coach yells “That’s only three!” The first base coach yells “That’s only three!”

The runner hears “Three!” and blows right through first base and heads to second. He gets there and then looks at third, sees R3 there, and stops. The defense just looks at him the whole time.

We finally get him back to the plate for … Ball 4. I jokingly say to the catcher, “You might want to watch him.”

They don’t. And there he goes. They attempt the play on him at second this time, but R3 breaks for home. F6 cuts the throw to second and fires home, throwing the ball away. The batter-runner ends up on third. :oops:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619