Drop ball drills

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 16, 2012
My DD (13) asked me to find her some drop ball drills to do at home. Does anyone have a few drills they like to do? She is learning the peel drop if that makes a difference.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Its not really a drill... but we have taken two tees and tied a rope between them about 5 feet apart, and about 8-10 feet in front of home plate... this will help you see the movement. To add difficulty, set up another set at the plate that is lower. She will throw over the first rope and if the ball breaks strong enough it will cross the plate under the second rope. As she gets better you can increase the height of the first rope...

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Take a tall plastic waste can and place that between the pitcher and home plate. Then, take the famous "pickle" bucket that Dad sits on and lay it down on the ground behind the plate with the open end facing the pitcher. The object is for the pitcher to throw the ball over the waste can and into the bucket. Start with the waste can in the middle, and then gradually move the waste can toward the plate.

The reason to use these objects rather than a rope is because the pitcher does not have to rely on someone else to tell her if she is doing it correctly. She can easily see whether the ball is really moving.

Ray

Feb 16, 2012
Thanks Coach James and Sluggers for the drill. I think that might help her get it in her mind what needs to happen.

Ken...she needs help in getting the right motion down. It is such a different motion from the other pitches she throws that she is really struggling with it. She never liked the pitch from the beginning but has seen how effective it can be and is now struggling to 'get it".

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
Take a tall plastic waste can and place that between the pitcher and home plate. Then, take the famous "pickle" bucket that Dad sits on and lay it down on the ground behind the plate with the open end facing the pitcher. The object is for the pitcher to throw the ball over the waste can and into the bucket. Start with the waste can in the middle, and then gradually move the waste can toward the plate.

The reason to use these objects rather than a rope is because the pitcher does not have to rely on someone else to tell her if she is doing it correctly. She can easily see whether the ball is really moving.

Ray
Sluggers, how tall was the waste can that you used for this drill? Like a plastic kitchen garbage can—say 3 or 4 feet high—or something taller than that?

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Its not really a drill... but we have taken two tees and tied a rope between them about 5 feet apart, and about 8-10 feet in front of home plate... this will help you see the movement. To add difficulty, set up another set at the plate that is lower. She will throw over the first rope and if the ball breaks strong enough it will cross the plate under the second rope. As she gets better you can increase the height of the first rope...
We usually did this drill with the "Chinese Jump Rope". It doesn't deflect the ball as much and made it much more comfortable for the Catcher (usually her twin sister). Easy to see the movement and they would both have eyes checking on the spin and telling each other what they saw.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2019
I’d like to hijack this a little because I came here for almost the same question, my DD has always thrown a version of gyro spin, either 3-9, or 2-8, 1-7. Any good drills to work on 12-6, we’d like to get her drop working correctly.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I’d like to hijack this a little because I came here for almost the same question, my DD has always thrown a version of gyro spin, either 3-9, or 2-8, 1-7. Any good drills to work on 12-6, we’d like to get her drop working correctly.
Rather than a drill I like to use a ball with large black spots on it so that she can see for herself how the ball spins. But for topspin you can put a circle on the ball across the 4 seams and have her line the circle up on her middle finger, then try to throw top spinwith the circle as a guide.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi