Drill Suggestions for Lower Body

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 3, 2010
Suburb of Chicago, IL
My DD (14U) recently changed from a Step style to Leap & Drag style. However from what her coaches and others tell her she is still not using her lower body effectively. Not loading her drive/push leg and instead is still stepping and dragging the drive leg behind.

What drills would you recommend to help develop a more power and drive from the lower body?

Mar 10, 2009
Have her raise her stride leg up to where her stride leg thigh is parallel to the ground while having her drive foot either on the rubber or on the ground (pitching rubber not necessary, this drill is best done indoors anyway). Have her hop forward very aggressviely twice and on the third one, stride out powerfully with her stride leg and pitch. I call it hop-hop-pitch, and will use that cadence with my pitchers as they are doing it. You can set her up in the same position and have her drive forward with her drive leg and pitch without the 2 hops, and finish balanced on her stride leg. I have heard this called one-to-ones. IE; from one leg to the other. Another drill that I like to use is place a portable rubber track starting block wedged against the front part of the pitching rubber on a Club K Powerline mat. I then have the pitcher place her drive foot against that starting block with the heel elevated and the toe on the mat. Since I teach a heel over toe drive without a full pivot, this method teaches 2 things: 1. When you drive off of the pitching rubber, drive aggressively forward with the drive heel coming straight over the toe. 2. Use your DRIVE leg to power yourself forward, and not simply step or stride.
In all of these drills, it is important that the drive foot drags/glides aggressively on the ground throughout the pitch, in what I call a toe (drive toe) to heel (stride) finish. The drive toe should be making a slight banana shaped pattern as it travels from the front of the rubber to the stride leg heel.
Hope any of these help.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12