Dreaded day

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 19, 2013
It appears the dreaded day of 12U DD deciding that she does not want to play anymore is upon us. :( The thing is I think she truly wants to play but just does not want to put in the effort to play at the higher level. She is really a great ball player, however does not see it in herself.

It is tearing DH up that she does not see how great she is and that she is wanting to quit. She states she is not having fun anymore. I'm hoping she will decide to just take a break from lessons, etc and still want to play.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Good for her for speaking up. TB is not for everyone. Your husband can play ball, if he misses it that much. I played on a travel slow pitch team and found out that I didn't like the travel, either. Encourage him to play, for himself.

Plus just make sure she is not just trying to get out of doing anything, as long as she is doing something but when mine asked to quit I said "to do what?" the rambling answer including laying around and playing more X-box to which I replied NO. Not forcing lessons and the whole nine yards but at least got her out there for the rec season meeting people and having fun while playing the game.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
12u is the beginning of the end for a lot of sports players, it's not just limited to softball. We all know the list of "changes" and "paths" at that age.

Some are just not meant to play high end travel. For some it has nothing to do with their skills ( or lack of ), they just don't feel it. No matter how much you, me, dad, the Easter Bunny want them to play. TB requires a ton of dedication, some are just as happy playing rec/organized ball.

I would recommend giving her some time off, see how she feels. I've learned the old saying "if you love something let it go, and see if it comes back" applies to much more than relationships.

I like what David said, if she quits entirely, something else constructive should fill the void.

Try Golf..........lots of business happens on the golf course!

My daughters love to hit balls with their daddy!

It's ok you will eventually have grandkids and hopefully they will love softball or baseball and you can take all your knowledge and share it with them:)

Aug 7, 2012
Plus just make sure she is not just trying to get out of doing anything, as long as she is doing something but when mine asked to quit I said "to do what?" the rambling answer including laying around and playing more X-box to which I replied NO. Not forcing lessons and the whole nine yards but at least got her out there for the rec season meeting people and having fun while playing the game.

likewise, I tell them "you're doing something... play a sport or get a job."

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
It appears the dreaded day of 12U DD deciding that she does not want to play anymore is upon us. :( The thing is I think she truly wants to play but just does not want to put in the effort to play at the higher level. She is really a great ball player, however does not see it in herself.

It is tearing DH up that she does not see how great she is and that she is wanting to quit. She states she is not having fun anymore. I'm hoping she will decide to just take a break from lessons, etc and still want to play.

Not sure I am following you. Did your dd say she doesn't want to play, or does she not have the commitment level that her father has, so therefore it is being labeled as not wanting to play.

If she wants to play, get her on a team that matches her level of desire. If its to play half as much and to have pool parties and have fun you can find a team like that.

It was really hard on me when my son told me he didn't want to play baseball. But I know it was harder for him to tell me, and I respected him for that. He quit so he could play soccer year 'round, which made it easier for me because he didn't quit to be lazy, he quit to get better at the sport he loved more. I still think he could have played baseball in college, but he was too short to be a college goalkeeper. But he did what he wanted and he and I have no regrets.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321