drag and hand activation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Indeed.

I am afraid to show our sea saw board. I would have to defend why it works FOR US.
BD

I'm all for drills in which the "objective" of the drill is to capture a feature/trait/characteristic in the HLBB swing. It is when a drill is made up with "objectives" that don't match-up to what is seen in the HLBB swing that I become questionable. In other words ... a drill should have "objectives" that can be verified through slow motion video of the best hitters in the game. Doesn't mean the entire drill needs to replicate the HLBB swing ... but at least the "objective" that one is attempting to capture, should be verifiable through slow motion analysis of the best hitters in the game.

R

RayR

Are you referring to the late upwards hand path to get the barrel back up the toss?

She's dumping the barrel, which is what always happens when hitters start the swing from the BHUT position.

BHUT = Back Hand Under Top (vertical barrel)

P.S. I was looking at a D-1 college hitter yesterday who goes from BHUT and who was doing the same basic thing (but he's stronger so it's less pronounced).

R

RayR

The seesaw boards worked for us if the back knee supported the shift. Otherwise it was a push lunge forward to get the board to tip. EDIT - Elvis move to tip the board

I would love to hear your thoughts on how you guys use it.

Indeed.

I am afraid to show our sea saw board. I would have to defend why it works FOR US.
BD[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
T

theaddition

TA ... to follow-up on my post. I like how the BHUT move leads to "early bat speed" in your daughter's swing. I also like how she passes through the "Power-V" position, which helps her avoid dumping the barrel ... see pause in video clip below.

98aic4.gif

That's an interesting observation.
Which is why we I don't address it as HPP, though that works for others I am sure, I didn't work for her.
The reason I bring this up is because it is absolutely an "absolute". Particularly on a pitch that is letter high and above.
It's evident in the Bustos clip (the Olympic clip).
It makes more sense to her to teach it the way he is describing.

I think she could do a little better job Leveling though.

BD

YouTube - The ParkerTraining System - Baseball Leveling Video

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The seesaw boards worked for us if the back knee supported the shift. Otherwise it was a push lunge forward to get the board to tip.

MTS ... curious if what you describe as the back knee supporting the shift could be translated to coil tension not being leaked prior to the shift?

T

theaddition

Are you referring to the late upwards hand path to get the barrel back up the toss?

I think he is, and if he is, I would agree due to the pitch height.
The objective would be to use the Dena Tyson or Bustos swing clip as a model

BD

Sep 10, 2009

You think this drill fixed the drag? Thats been my humble theory, when they feel the power in the core, they will instinctively know how apply it. Young hitters anyway, until they feel it they will try to use the arms too much. And probably as Chris says get "back hand dominate" and drag the bat.

Anybody else use this drill?

Oct 12, 2009

In the frame before contact, and at contact, the barrel falls down out of the plane set by the front elbow.

Up to this point, I agree that she's quite good.

Some of this could be due to the fact that she seems to push her hands forward and up through the POC (as some kids do in the case of bat drag, but she doesn't have any bat drag).

I'd be interested in what she looks like when does BHUT off of a tee.

But, and like I said, I have seen that pattern over and over again when people try to launch from the BHUT position.

That is why no pro launches from the BHUT position, but instead starts laying the bat down into plane with a running start.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
That's an interesting observation.
Which is why we I don't address it as HPP, though that works for others I am sure, I didn't work for her.
The reason I bring this up is because it is absolutely an "absolute". Particularly on a pitch that is letter high and above.
It's evident in the Bustos clip (the Olympic clip).
It makes more sense to her to teach it the way he is describing.

I think she could do a little better job Leveling though.

BD

YouTube - The ParkerTraining System - Baseball Leveling Video

Agree … the “Power-V” at the “RVP Connection Point” position should be treated as an “absolute”.

As for ‘leveling’ … keep in mind the drill you are performing. You are doing a "side soft-toss" drill. It isn’t like this was a “head-on soft-toss” drill where she would have a better prediction when 'connection' is established.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sterp