drag and hand activation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 12, 2009
Visualize a punching bag being the ball (point of contact). That will make it easy to see AND feel what the hands and shoulders do.

This is good, but the right model is a body blow (kidney buster) and not a jab.

Jab would be push disconnection.

Of course, I don't know if any girls, or even any kids, would get a boxing analogy.

Oct 25, 2009
What happens up to the point of contact with the bag I'm pretty comfortable that I'm teaching the right stuff. What happens after the point of contact is what I'm still trying to resolve. That may be a subject for a different thread. I'm just not sure that what happens up to this point will cause the result I want or if I could give it a little extra drive or should that extra drive be there in the first place. I'm not speaking of bat path, I'm speaking of bat force I think.

R

RayR

Lateral tilt is tilt back toward the catcher.

The hands move forward with the rotation of the shoulders.

This is especially apparent in Frame 6 and Frame 7.

The deltoid drill is a drill that is designed to work on one specific thing.

Driving the swing with the core.

However, there's no point in working on adjustability if you aren't getting power from the right place.

Frames 6/7? How about frame 4 when the hands make a positive move to the ball? Front arm is bent and the front shoulder is driven around. By frames 6/7 the swing is done.

The deltoid drill fuses the hands to the torso. Try hitting a low outside pitch with the bat against your shoulder. It doesn't teach hitters how to drive the swing with the core. It teaches kids to spin. But, it does help some kids hit better.

Yes, lateral tilt is back towards the catcher. You cannot lead with hips/legs and not laterally tilt.

This an open top hand drill. When do my shoulders stop laterally tilting and start rotating around the spine?

How about Williams? When do her shoulders start rotating?

316m0ll.gif

Sep 10, 2009
I think I picked up this Tulowitzki gif on this site so you all might have seen it. At heel plant hands have hardly moved, the pitch is fairly high. The kid with the bad bat drag looked okay at heel plant. The only thing I can see he should have done with the hands is not to move them at all, until he got the lower half moving.

Did Hitter say something about the feet and bat drag? Details in the dirt, or was that another subject.

Attachments

• tulo.hp..jpg
    tulo.hp..jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 26
  • tulo...jpg
    tulo...jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 23
Oct 12, 2009
What happens up to the point of contact with the bag I'm pretty comfortable that I'm teaching the right stuff. What happens after the point of contact is what I'm still trying to resolve. That may be a subject for a different thread. I'm just not sure that what happens up to this point will cause the result I want or if I could give it a little extra drive or should that extra drive be there in the first place. I'm not speaking of bat path, I'm speaking of bat force I think.

If it's happening after the POC, don't worry about it that much.

The biggest after POC thing is cutting the swing short, because that is usually a sign of slowing the swing down through the POC.

Oct 12, 2009
Frames 6/7? How about frame 4 when the hands make a positive move to the ball? Front arm is bent and the front shoulder is driven around. By frames 6/7 the swing is done.

In frame 4 the shoulders start rotating, which causes the hands to move. The back shoulder and hands both move in the same frame because the two are linked.

The deltoid drill fuses the hands to the torso.

Agreed.

Try hitting a low outside pitch with the bat against your shoulder.

That's impossible.

But that's also not the point of the drill.

You've got to walk (drive the swing with the core) before you can run (worry about adjustability).

It doesn't teach hitters how to drive the swing with the core.

What else could you drive the swing with when doing this drill?

This an open top hand drill. When do my shoulders stop laterally tilting and start rotating around the spine?

You can see shoulder rotation from the start of the swing.

How about Williams? When do her shoulders start rotating?

316m0ll.gif

No idea.

Anyone who says, or thinks, they can answer that question using a full-speed clip is either kidding themselves or lying.

R

RayR

The back shoulder and hands are linked? By what? Air? The only link is between the hands and front shoulder via a bent front arm. You are completely deluding yourself if you think the shoulders move the hands (in a good swing). Been down that dead end...keep searching...

Oct 12, 2009
The back shoulder and hands are linked? By what? Air? The only link is between the hands and front shoulder via a bent front arm. You are completely deluding yourself if you think the shoulders move the hands (in a good swing). Been down that dead end...keep searching...

Is this a serious question?

The shoulders and hands are linked by the arms.

Video shows that, in a good swing at least, during at least the first 2/3 of the swing the hands move in sync with the shoulders. You may get some extension right at the end of the swing, but not until then.

I'm am completely mystified why anyone would have a problem with the ideas that the shoulders rotate.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sterp