DP/Flex scenario - legal?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 5, 2012
Wanted to get a ruling on this DP/Flex scenario before trying it in a game. Is this legal in USSSA play?

(1) 9 batters, plus FLEX on the line-up card
(2) Player A is listed as DP, Player B is 1B
(3) After pre-game meeting and before we take the field on defense, inform PU that Player A will be playing defense for Player B at 1B
(4) Later in game, Player A gets on base, and the fast-running FLEX pinch-runs for Player A
(5) Player A then re-enters game at 1B in the next 1/2 inning using her 1 re-entry
(6) Player B never actually plays defense on the field

The situation is I have just 10 players, a poor hitting, but speedy pitcher (FLEX), and a big hitting, great on defense, but slow 1B (DP). I'd like to be able to insert my pitcher to run for my slower 1B if the game is tight and we need a run.

Thanks!

Jun 22, 2008
If I follow you correctly, you dont even have to tell the umpire the DP is going to play defense for 1B, the DP may play defense for anyone other than the flex and it is not a substitution. No player has left the game and does not need to be reported. The only time you would need to report it was if the DP was going to be playing pitcher or catcher so they would be eligible for a courtesy runner. What you are describing is legal.

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
Comp is correct. It's a defensive swap, and does not need to be reported. The DP can play defense the entire game if you so choose, for anyone at any time. If she plays for flex, then flex must come out of the game and you are reduced to nine. Flex may re-enter once. However, many umpires still struggle with dp/flex and want to know when there are changes, even if they are technically not reportable. Especially if it's during play on a time out.

Nov 17, 2010
If I follow you correctly, you dont even have to tell the umpire the DP is going to play defense for 1B, the DP may play defense for anyone other than the flex and it is not a substitution. No player has left the game and does not need to be reported. The only time you would need to report it was if the DP was going to be playing pitcher or catcher so they would be eligible for a courtesy runner.

You also need to report when the DP is playing defense for the FLEX, correct?

Mar 13, 2010
Wanted to get a ruling on this DP/Flex scenario before trying it in a game. Is this legal in USSSA play?

(1) 9 batters, plus FLEX on the line-up card
(2) Player A is listed as DP, Player B is 1B
(3) After pre-game meeting and before we take the field on defense, inform PU that Player A will be playing defense for Player B at 1B
(4) Later in game, Player A (DP) gets on base, and the fast-running FLEX pinch-runs for Player A (DP)
(5) Player A (DP) then re-enters game at 1B in the next 1/2 inning using her 1 re-entry
(6) Player B never actually plays defense on the field

The situation is I have just 10 players, a poor hitting, but speedy pitcher (FLEX), and a big hitting, great on defense, but slow 1B (DP). I'd like to be able to insert my pitcher to run for my slower 1B if the game is tight and we need a run.

Thanks!
If I follow what you did and what you are trying to accomplish......
Under USSSA rules everything bolded that you did is legal.
Should the game situation dictate, you could repeat the same scenario again, EXCEPT now Player A (DP) is not eligible to re-enter and in your situation ("I have just 10 players") being unable to substitute a new DP, you will be finishing the game with 9 players.
(USSSA 5.4)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs