Double play ruling

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 4, 2010
On a double play, if after getting the out at 2nd, the throw to first hits the runner coming to 2nd. If anything, what happens to Batter/runner or R1? Is anybody out automatically due to the thrown ball hitting R1?
My opinion is R1 is allowed his lane to run and slide into second and the defense should make the step away to make a lane to throw to 1st but I would call this more of defensive stratagy then a rule.
Would any penalty differ if R1 slid or didn't slide? I could see R1 being called out automatically for failure to slide.
I'm mostly curious about the batter/runner in this.
Any sightable rule to cover this?

Thanks

Jun 22, 2008
There is no such thing as a slide rule. The runner going into 2nd cant just magically disappear from the field. As long as they do not intentionally interfere with the throw, such as purposely jumping into the throw, going out of their way to run into the fielder, or reaching out trying to hit the ball, there is nothing on this play. Ball is live, play on.

Jul 28, 2008
If it's ruled intentional interference to disrupt the double play in the umpires judgment, then it's a dead ball and the BR is out. Otherwise, there is nothing.

Dec 4, 2010
That is how I see it too, its live unless by the judgement of the umpire that obstruction of the throwing player has occurred.
There is a little more to this, I was hoping for few comments first.
Thank you for your comments

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
That is how I see it too, its live unless by the judgement of the umpire that obstruction of the throwing player has occurred.
There is a little more to this, I was hoping for few comments first.
Thank you for your comments

Whoa! There is no "obstruction" anywhere here. Only the defense can commit obstruction. This is 100% interference-oriented. And, yes, in softball discussions it makes a difference.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck