Dont forget the wind factor!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
I am seeing lots of folks pulling their brain muscles and wondering why their 12 year old is inconsistent on speed, spin rpms, movement, whatever.

I had a very good riseball when I competed. But, if there was a nice breeze blowing from my catcher towards me, it was way better than it was with NO BREEZE. On the other end of that, if the wind was blowing towards my back and at the catcher, nothing moved as well as it could if those circumstances were different.

Wind from one side to the other, can make a curveball awesome or make it as fat as a Volkswagen.

My advice is this; at the start of every inning, if there is a breeze, pick up a little dirt and let it trickle out of your fist. Figure out which way the predominant wind is blowing, if you can.

Some times the gusts can be one direction one minute and another the next. Coaches, dont get mad if you call for a curveball and all of a sidden the wind is blowing the WRONG way and the pitcher calls it off.

Dont beat the kids up if their breaking pitches are not doing what they / you want.

It might be the wind.

Hal

Aug 2, 2008
Interesting, I call that uncommon, common sense. Hadn't thought of that.

That explains my 11 yo daughters 75 mph fastball I've been bragging about. Good tailwind.:D

Mike

Jan 27, 2010
When warming up prior to the game, pitch in the direction that you will pitching in the game. You can see how each pitch is affected by wind and you will be able to tell more about what pitchs you should use in certain situations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1