Done With Softball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
So true... It's taken me a long time to learn this lesson. Sometimes they just want to see what your reaction will be. My DD saw softball through to the end of high school and 18U, then decided to hang it up. We were proud of her for "seeing it through" and I think she's proud of herself, as well. Sometimes when she needs to think or just needs a break she'll throw a bucket of balls and a tee in her car and go hit for an hour. She doesn't make a point of telling us, but the dirty cleats and stray ball or two rattling around the garage give her away :)

My DD did the same thing, wasn't interested in playing College Ball. She is excelling in College and I couldn't be more proud of her. Of course I still Coach so I'm not missing the game lol.

Apr 25, 2010
I was devastated when DD hung up her TB cleats. That was really the only life we had known for years. All our friends were TB families. We missed most of our family gatherings, which is sometimes a good thing...lol. It was kind of our family identity. But last summer being the first without TB, we ended up doing all sorts of fun things. The "pain" lessens, I promise. DD still plays HS ball (has a game tonight, first in 2 weeks). So I get my softball fix during HS season and I get my family fun in the summer. It's an adjustment, but I'm proud of her for making the decision that was right for her. She agonized over it, but she has blossomed and is nurturing her other talents. She's an amazing young lady.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
I was sad when DD 1 stopped playing. DD 3 was much sadder, since she learned how to play n practicing with her older sister.
Softball was a real whirlwind for DD 1, staring late and rising quickly, and it lost the fun after a few years.

Since then DD 1 has done a lot of things that softball would've interfered with, such as working part time, getting into a summer program that led to a full academic scholarship, and an internship last summer. This coming summer she is spending the summer in the dorms for a bridge to college program.
Next year, one of two choices. Either she spends the summer as an intern for a local doctor, or else she and her roommate head off to India, staying with her roommate's Tibetan relatives, and spend the summer volunteering at a hospital in India.

I am sad that I will never see DD 1 steal another base, but I am very proud of how she has handled her life.

Jun 16, 2015
Just an update for those that responded; DD has definitely decided to give up travel ball when it ends in July. She claims she will play for her HS team as a rising 9th grader next year, and whether she does or not, I no longer care. It was really hard to take initially after the last 2 years of pushing to get her trained up and making a B or even A in order to fulfill her dream to play in college. For those that said that 14u is the weeding out age, it’s absolutely true. She was 13 playing 16u, and while her skills have vastly improved, she just doesn’t have the fire in her belly we thought she would. Lessons with a PC and HC were great, but she never took advantage of the coaching. It was always a battle to get her to practice, and we are probably all relieved not to have that monkey on our back.

Fortunately her new HS requires freshman participate in at least 2 sports, so she’ll be trying something new (tennis in the fall), so she’s excited about that. She also says she wants to play golf, so thanks for that suggestion. She also wants to get a part-time job.

I’m not sad anymore (well, I’m getting used to it), and I’m excited to see what this kid has in store. I’m very proud of her decision, and so proud of the player and teammate she is and was.

I’m so very grateful for all of the advice here, you guys have been most helpful talking an anxious mom off the ledge. I wish you all the very best of luck in your softball endeavors!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12