Doing team awards at last practice of the season.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
We had our last practice for this season yesterday. Our HC took our entire team to a local pizza place and we had pizza and talked about the season and having a good time among friends. We also did our end of season awards. I got Best Hitter and Most Courageous Player along with a small trophy to commemorate the season. Is this type of practice unusual to end your season or is this something that's gaining traction?

Dec 19, 2012
Congrats Softgabby! My dd's team and parent "get together" didn't happen until the season was officially over. That's where they handed out team awards, and conference,region, and state awards. The players never received participation trophy awards.

There were a handful of occasions every year that many teammates and us parents would get together for dinner after a game, then the parents would sit around and talk while enjoying adult beverages while the girls would go to the mall and spend our money.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
Congrats Softgabby! My dd's team and parent "get together" didn't happen until the season was officially over. That's where they handed out team awards, and conference,region, and state awards. The players never received participation trophy awards.

There were a handful of occasions every year that many teammates and us parents would get together for dinner after a game, then the parents would sit around and talk while enjoying adult beverages while the girls would go to the mall and spend our money.

Thank you for the congratulations, Lenski. We had a good time doing our rewards thing at the local pizza shop. We even joked around about some bad plays that happened over the course of the season with our butterfingers award. In our area, we do two different awards ceremonies. We just did our team's awards. Next weekend, we have a spring sports banquet that's sponsored by some area businesses and a local top 40 station and sports station. It's three of our area schools combined and we commemorate our areas best spring athletes. I'm hoping to walk away with something.

Dec 19, 2012
Thank you for the congratulations, Lenski. We had a good time doing our rewards thing at the local pizza shop. We even joked around about some bad plays that happened over the course of the season with our butterfingers award. In our area, we do two different awards ceremonies. We just did our team's awards. Next weekend, we have a spring sports banquet that's sponsored by some area businesses and a local top 40 station and sports station. It's three of our area schools combined and we commemorate our areas best spring athletes. I'm hoping to walk away with something.

The spring sports banquet sounds cool. We had nothing like that. We had a "Meet The Teams" function at the high school where everyone in spring sports was introduced and each coach says a few words about their team. No drink, no food, and it was held in the gym. You guys are fancy compared to us....lol.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Our HS teams had a spring sports banquet (baseball, softball, golf, swimming, track, tennis)in the gym but then each sport broke apart to meet privately in other parts of the school to do individual awards. For those kids that were awarded 1st Team/2nd Team/Honorable Mention/Academic All District they were merely acknowledged. No certificates or nothing. Very disappointing especially when i see every other school giving these kids a little certificate for their efforts. Just a little something to put in their glory file would be nice.

Catered by Rudy's!! BBQ by Rudy's Country Store | Now Taking Barbecue Orders Online

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
The spring sports banquet sounds cool. We had nothing like that. We had a "Meet The Teams" function at the high school where everyone in spring sports was introduced and each coach says a few words about their team. No drink, no food, and it was held in the gym. You guys are fancy compared to us....lol.

We did the same for our fall and winter sports. They are our big fundraisers that our district does. I was named to our district's all academic team for field hockey and basketball. I also led our district in points on the hardwood. We really don't do anything super fancy. We have a local caterer do the meal and a local DJ do the music. We had a local business man name our awards winners in the fall and a popular local radio personality do the winter awards. This time it's our local sports talk show host doing the awards. He is known for giving out nicknames to players who do something big on the field and supposedly it's a big deal to get a nickname from him. I never really listened to him...but I'm rumored by some friends that he gave me a nickname.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
Our HS teams had a spring sports banquet (baseball, softball, golf, swimming, track, tennis)in the gym but then each sport broke apart to meet privately in other parts of the school to do individual awards. For those kids that were awarded 1st Team/2nd Team/Honorable Mention/Academic All District they were merely acknowledged. No certificates or nothing. Very disappointing especially when i see every other school giving these kids a little certificate for their efforts. Just a little something to put in their glory file would be nice.

Catered by Rudy's!! BBQ by Rudy's Country Store | Now Taking Barbecue Orders Online

We did our team awards already. What our pitcher said to me was that they'll do overall awards and then break it down by sport. We hold our award banquet at our local convention center since we have three schools in our area. We will be able to meet other players from other schools in a non competitive setting which is kinda nice for something different.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00