Does winning matter more than anything?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 14, 2019
Long time lurker here. So my daughter was recruited by a small JUCO in KS to play ball. We made our visit and loved everything about the school and the coach. So she signs with them and the coach resigns just after school starts. We then find out the school is going to hire these people: https://arktimes.com/arkansas-blog/...oach-who-was-fired-after-allegations-of-abuse

They introduce these coaches to the girls without anyone from the Admin there to oversee how things went. Needless to say they did not make a good impression on the girls and insulted a couple of them. My kid will be gone after the fall ball season and will not play for them. What is your opinion of these people?

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
DD had a TB teammate that played one season for Chipola not sure what happened. I don't think she was built for that program. @riseball DD's played for them for 2 season and went on to South Carolina and I think led them to a Natty. That's all I know other than their ETSU debacle.

See how the fall goes and make a decision then.

ETA: My DD was recruited by a coach, 6 days later called her to let her know he was going to KU. 2nd lasted a year. 3rd coach lasted 3 years. 4th coach is in his 3rd season. She didn't play for the first 2 coaches since she was still in HS, but had to develop relationships with them. Played for second 2. Could be a good life lesson. If she is abusive, then leave. If she is tough, that can be good.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
DD had a TB teammate that played one season for Chipola not sure what happened. I don't think she was built for that program. @riseball DD's played for them for 2 season and went on to South Carolina and I think led them to a Natty. That's all I know other than their ETSU debacle.

See how the fall goes and make a decision then.

ETA: My DD was recruited by a coach, 6 days later called her to let her know he was going to KU. 2nd lasted a year. 3rd coach lasted 3 years. 4th coach is in his 3rd season. She didn't play for the first 2 coaches since she was still in HS, but had to develop relationships with them. Played for second 2. Could be a good life lesson. If she is abusive, then leave. If she is tough, that can be good.
If tough means a firm expectation of effort level, OK. But if tough means belittling, demeaning, semi abusive bull shoot then find another school. Spousal coaching is a huge red flag. The AD should resign for hiring these idiots.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Confused on geography and timing here. You say your DD signed at a JUCO in KS. However, the linked article describes a coach hired by Southeast Arkansas College, which is in Pine Bluff, Arkansas...not even close to Kansas.

Further, you imply that she was hired after school started (after the previous coach resigned), but the article was written in April 2023. Further, according to the article, SEARK is just starting their softball program this year. Hendrix is their FIRST coach.

What am I missing? Did she get fired over the summer from SEARK and end up at a JUCO in Kansas? A web search yields nothing about that.

May 14, 2019
Confused on geography and timing here. You say your DD signed at a JUCO in KS. However, the linked article describes a coach hired by Southeast Arkansas College, which is in Pine Bluff, Arkansas...not even close to Kansas.

Further, you imply that she was hired after school started (after the previous coach resigned), but the article was written in April 2023. Further, according to the article, SEARK is just starting their softball program this year. Hendrix is their FIRST coach.

What am I missing? Did she get fired over the summer from SEARK and end up at a JUCO in Kansas? A web search yields nothing about that.
I dont know where the coaches are at currently. I just know that is who they are hiring.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I dont know where the coaches are at currently. I just know that is who they are hiring.
Any chance you're mistaken about who "they" are hiring? The link you posted makes no sense. What school in Kansas?

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Any chance you're mistaken about who "they" are hiring? The link you posted makes no sense. What school in Kansas?
I was confused as well. So the SEARK softball does not have a coach?

Juco's should be practicing by now and starting the fall season. Wouldn't there be some interaction with the players and the coaches by now?

May 14, 2019
Thanks everyone for chiming in. I did not tell the best story about the situation as some of you pointed out. DD is at a JUCO in KS. The Hendrix flew in on Tuesday to her school and introduced themselves as the new coaches without any supervision from the Admin at the school. Meeting with the team was not good. HR ended up interviewing several of the girls that were insulted during the first meeting with the Hendrix.

My wife is an English teacher and a debate coach and she wrote a letter to the Admin and AD at DD's school telling them how disappointed that we were with their hiring decision. My DD posted it on FB and all her teammates posted it also. After a bunch of backlash for hiring these fools the school decided to rescind the offer to hire them!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles