Does it matter where you go to college?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I don't know if anyone caught it but UMSL where BB went is one of these schools listed. The only thing that would make this even better is if I knew one of the CEOs who graduated from UMSL. Wait, I do. LOL

Jun 21, 2014
Philadelphia, PA
I don't know if anyone caught it but UMSL where BB went is one of these schools listed. The only thing that would make this even better is if I knew one of the CEOs who graduated from UMSL. Wait, I do. LOL

I know one is George Paz. Not sure who the other one is but there are a number of Fortune 500 companies in St Louis

Feb 7, 2013
I know one is George Paz. Not sure who the other one is but there are a number of Fortune 500 companies in St Louis

There's this little private elite college called Washington University at St Louis that is ranked #15 in the nation but I guess we shouldn't mention it since it doesn't really matter what college you go to according to the premise of this thread?

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
There's this little private elite college called Washington University at St Louis that is ranked #15 in the nation but I guess we shouldn't mention it since it doesn't really matter what college you go to according to the premise of this thread?

I know one of those guys from Washington U as well. LOL BTW, the UMSL guy I met in passing. He wouldn't remember me. The Washington U guy may or may not remember me but I spent considerable time in his "garage" once.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
Agree if someone is studying something not highly specialized. A degree from Cal Tech or MIT certainly mean more in the engineering tech world then an engineering degree from a good state school even after a track record of success has been established in a career. In business and other BA paths do agree.

Interesting that only 12 schools produced more than 1 of the Fortune 500 CEOs in 2015.

View attachment 9857

Colleges That Gave Fortune 500 CEOs Their Start - US News

F500 CEO has little to do with the university and a whole lot to do with the individual. The education gets you in the door. Your motivation gets you up the ladder.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
What would have helped my children, more than anything, would have been giving them the opportunity, to attend a top HS. The schools in IL. were by no means equal. Our daughter moved to a large HS in Flagstaff, AZ. and the advantages became obvious to me. More students, more classes to choose from, more competition and more teachers. If she felt like a teacher was pretty much a slacker, there was no need to have that teacher for the next 4 years.

One of my sons did succeed at U of Chicago, but he said he played catch up, to the students that came in from New Trier, etc.

Sep 28, 2015
I had to find this thread and read the article again. My DD is being heavily recruited by a D2 that is definitely not a top tier academic school. They do have a pre-health track which is what she wants. It's a struggle. I know her main schooling will not be her undergrad degree - is it a smart move to take the almost free ride and save the money we have put aside for her Graduate degree or go D3 and get the same pre health degree but from a better school?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Looking at the list, 7 or 8 of the top schools combined graduate less than say Tx A&M each year. So ratio wise they seem to be doing pretty good.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I know her main schooling will not be her undergrad degree - is it a smart move to take the almost free ride and save the money we have put aside for her Graduate degree or go D3 and get the same pre health degree but from a better school?

What is "pre-health"? Are you talking pre-med or pre-physical therapy or ???

If she wants some kind of post-grad degree, you go get the stats from the school about how successful they have been at placing grads in that kind of program.

E.g., if it were pre-med, you would go talk to the person in charge of pre-med at both schools. Find out how good the program is at placing students. Find out where their graduates go for the post-grad education. And, then compare.

If she plays ball at a D2 school, she will not finish in 4 years. So, when you calculate the savings, make sure you throw in one year of undergrad on your dime.

Find a D3 she wants to go to, and then talk to the admissions at the D3. D3's generally heavily discount their tuition.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles