Does anyone do an analysis of softball bats with actual data?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
The sound is part of that energy “loss” I was referring to..
No, had nothing to do with all the science talk going on, thats too out of my league.
Im just a grunt and have no idea when the smart talk comes in :D

I was referring to "distinct sound to sell" reference. So I just wanted to point out, Easton was NOT
the first bat to develop a loud distinct sound that assists in selling bats. Almost every bat
has its own "sound".

Jun 8, 2016
No, had nothing to do with all the science talk going on, thats too out of my league.

I was referring to "distinct sound to sell" reference. So I just wanted to point out, Easton was NOT
the first bat to develop a loud distinct sound that assists in selling bats. Almost every bat
has its own "sound".
and what I was saying is somebody buying a bat because of how loud it is is stupid 😂

Oct 27, 2020
I think the proof is in the pudding. It seems that most high end composite bats are quite capable of hitting homers in the right hands. To me, there are far more factors to analyze and gain out side of the bat itself. I too enjoy analyzing specs and engineering data however IMA factors and variables that affect exit velo are far greater than the bat itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
however IMA factors and variables that affect exit velo are far greater than the bat itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For all its practical purposes, the bat consists of 2 of 5 variables if we ignore everything that goes into 1 of those 2 and 1 of the other 3 😉

Last edited:
May 13, 2023

the first bat to develop a loud distinct sound that assists in selling bats.

Almost every bat
has its own "sound".
And people like different sounds.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
and what I was saying is somebody buying a bat because of how loud it is is stupid 😂

From an actual in-game advantage standpoint, the best bat they could make is one that would make no sound or as little sound as possible. I'm not sure how much harder it would be to read and react to a ball (especially one in flight) with no auditory cue at all, but it definitely would be harder.

But DeMarini went and wasted the perfect name for the silent bat with the Whisper.

Jun 8, 2016
From an actual in-game advantage standpoint, the best bat they could make is one that would make no sound or as little sound as possible. I'm not sure how much harder it would be to read and react to a ball (especially one in flight) with no auditory cue at all, but it definitely would be harder.

But DeMarini went and wasted the perfect name for the silent bat with the Whisper.
That would be weird..agreed.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Before people think manufacturers put stuff in a bat just for sound, let me shed a bit of light as to why if you didnt already know.
The reason why composite bats a long time ago didnt make huge noise is because they were hollow. So you
didnt have the sounds. You had a deeper tree thump/crack sound the more a bat got broken in, but that was just the composite
loosening up and changing sounds. Back then they played with layers of the composite and resin layers and obviously
composite thickness to get performance. Some bats today are still hollow, but not many.
Thats also why it took bats a while to break in back then. Because you couldnt make the composite too thin because
it would fail standards. So you made it thick and it required break in. Then after years, the bat was insane.

Now we move to todays bats, people want hot out of the wrapper...but you also have to keep the bat within
standards. So only way to do that is have thinner composite...BUT...you then have to keep the flex at a minimum.
So manufacturers have inner tech to stop the composite from being insanely hot by flexing too much...and tbh, breaking.
Manufacturers have barrels, discs, chambers...whatever they call their patented tech. So what happens is the outer
composite flexes into the inner tech which stops the over flex from happening. Hence, now you have the sounds of the
composite hitting into the inner tech. Manufacturers also try to get as much out of the inner tech as well. Its there
to hold standards, but if you can get the inner tech to flex a bit and react, that will help the trampoline.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA