Does a forward step generate power?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
Bagwell sits very deep in the chair, he places his weight on and against the back leg (as he said while motioning with both hands on the side of his torso). With the wide stance, and the butt to far behind and to low, the body adn torso must unload somehow. It must rise a little, the front foot comes off the ground during this time and is set back down (moving back a few inches).

Combine the deep chair and hand action slightly down when he is already so deep, when the hands raise a little so does the body or center of gravity so it can unload. Thus the front foot moves slightly back.

I don't like people using Bagwell as an example as "how important is the stride if his moves backwards". How important can momentum be if he strides backwards?

I've heard it 100's of times, without discussing why it moves backwards and what is happening in his swing. No one has given an analysis on his swing as to what is actually happening, or at least what they think is happening.

It is more of an argument for "what is the stride important for" instead of "how important is the stride."

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Actually the topic says, Does the forward step generate power.

Although I haven't read the thread yet, just seen the last few post and Bagwell being used again, like so many times in the past.

Oct 28, 2009
Actually the topic says, Does the forward step generate power.

Although I haven't read the thread yet, just seen the last few post and Bagwell being used again, like so many times in the past.

Tewks, if your goal was to cause readers to stop and think about the contributions of different aspects of a swing, you were successful. I had seen Bagwell's approach, of course. He is interesting, like Rowand since his ankle injury led to his funky style (although their similarities relate more to pre-load - Rowand strides).

If you felt that a more important goal was to steer clear of any possibility of triggering someone's pet peave, you were less successful.
Nevertheless, thanks.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
A stride's primary purpose is timing. However, when done correctly it can certainly contribute to momentum. If done incorrectly, lunge, for instance, it becomes a fault. It's a subtle, but effective, weight shift when done right.

Barry Bonds is a good example of a stride that contributes to his power. Although he doesn't need any extra anything.

Staying in the launch position will safeguard you from offspeed pitches. That's the top half; the bottom half controls the stride.

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
A stride's primary purpose is timing. However, when done correctly it can certainly contribute to momentum. If done incorrectly, lunge, for instance, it becomes a fault. It's a subtle, but effective, weight shift when done right.

Barry Bonds is a good example of a stride that contributes to his power. Although he doesn't need any extra anything.

Staying in the launch position will safeguard you from offspeed pitches. That's the top half; the bottom half controls the stride.

Can you post a clip of Bonds using a stride to contribute to power as you see it?

Dec 3, 2009
Kansas City area
yes, torque

I think the forward step and the hands load back make a huge difference in power because of the torque it creates, it engages the core muscles, and winds up your body. When you go into rotation and swing that seperation of lower body and upper body makes a big difference. Since coming to this site and others along with some videos I have added this to the players I work with on a regular basis and they hit the ball a lot harder. Just my opinion. Thanks Eric

Oct 25, 2009
Does forward momentum equal power? And by power, I mean maximizing bat speed (barrel speed) to/for/at the point of contact...

As far as barrel speed, no. It's everything working together that creates the ultimate power. The stride contributes. Without a stride there is less momentum; although momentum is not the primary purpose of the stride.

Jul 28, 2008
This ball was just "mashed" everyone just turned and watched it leave the planet. Look at the hook in the hand path as he whips the bat head. Howard I think he was thinking EEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRR!

sbtqhd.gif

Lil'E VIP

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs