Does a forward step generate power?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
I think the forward step and the hands load back make a huge difference in power because of the torque it creates, it engages the core muscles, and winds up your body. When you go into rotation and swing that seperation of lower body and upper body makes a big difference. Since coming to this site and others along with some videos I have added this to the players I work with on a regular basis and they hit the ball a lot harder. Just my opinion. Thanks Eric

Does the step have to be forward to create this stretch and separation? Or is the step getting the hitter into a more balanced/athletic/explosive position from which a powerful swing can be taken?

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
As far as barrel speed, no. It's everything working together that creates the ultimate power. The stride contributes. Without a stride there is less momentum; although momentum is not the primary purpose of the stride.

What is momentum in a swing? Where is the momentum occurring?

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
Since Bonds was brought up, here is a cool view.

Bondsoverhead.gif

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
one way of defining the swing momentum is to divide it into linear and rotational.

there is the straight line/linear type movement of the center of mass of the body and there is the rotational angular momentum of each link that is typically measured by motionanalysis of the kinetic link.

another swing model is by using srpings/masses.

Phil Cheetham The 3D Guy Blog

audio feedback to change sequencing:

http://www.amm3d.com/Support/PhilCh...nematic-Sequence-with-Biofeedback-Drills.aspx

spring model:

http://www.amm3d.com/Portals/0/articles/MassSpringSystemshowsaNaturalKinematicSequence.pdf

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2009
Kansas City area
Does the step have to be forward to create this stretch and separation? Or is the step getting the hitter into a more balanced/athletic/explosive position from which a powerful swing can be taken?
Both
I think the load/step puts you in a more atheletic position and creates the stretch and separtion which uncoils explosively. I think it helps time the pitcher also and puts you in a lower position to see the ball beter.
Thanks Eric

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
What is momentum in a swing? Where is the momentum occurring?

From the net… “Body build, age and gender affect the location of the center of gravity of a human being. Hellebrandt (1942) found the CG in women to be 55% of their standing height in a normal standing position. Croskey et al. (1922) found the CG in men to be 56.18 percent of their height in a normal standing position.”

“A women’s CG tends to be lower because more weight is concentrated in the pelvis area and thighs compared to a man.”

“Weight shift is a force. By merely moving body weight (the hips) you can create tremendous force. For example, falling down is weight “shift”. When you hit the ground, it can be quite painful if not injurious! The more weight you can move, the greater the amount of force being generated. This is why golfers who have much mass usually hit the ball much further.”

“In basketball, fencing, football, field hockey, and lacrosse, for example, the wearing of cleats and rubber-soled shoes aids in locomotion and provides for stability for positions held momentarily between quick and forceful movements.”

“Momentum can be thought of as the difficulty experienced in bringing a body to rest. Momentum is a conserved quantity and is related to the motion and mass of a body. The larger the mass of a body and the faster that body moves, the greater its momentum, and the more difficult it is to bring that body to rest.”

“A torque is a measurement of the ability of a force to cause rotation about a given pivot point. Understand the meaning of words or phrases like fulcrum, line of action, and moment (lever) arm.”

“Understand Newton's Second Law and its applications. A force acting on an object will give that object an acceleration in the direction of the force. (Did I step forward or backward or in or out?) The acceleration of the object is directly proportional to the resultant force applied to the object and inversely proportional to the mass of the object. Quite simply, this law is expressed as F = ma, where force (F) and acceleration (a) have both magnitude and direction--meaning they are vector quantities--while mass (m) is a scalar.”

“Be familiar with the concept of centripetal force. A force which is responsible for uniform circular motion is referred to as a centripetal force. In other words, a force that pulls on an object and causes that object to move in a circle is said to exert a centripetal force on that object.”

And from martial arts…”Center rotation requires that your center of gravity is exactly over the line between the centers of the feet and the coccyx flexed slightly forward and upward and your body upright. This perfect centering makes your rotation quick and smooth and allows you to reverse it for a counter-rotation so you can execute a snap technique or change techniques with maximum efficiency.”

In my opinion….I think if you step you will gain more momentum.

With that said if your stride is too wide, the front leg is not flexed the rotation of the hips will not be efficient and it is down hill from there! (Whoops that would be momentum again!)

How I rotate and where my hands are will effect my bat speed, if my hips did not lead correctly and the un chaining of my body was not done correctly it was a poor swing.

Thanks Howard

Last edited:

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
Both
I think the load/step puts you in a more atheletic position and creates the stretch and separtion which uncoils explosively. I think it helps time the pitcher also and puts you in a lower position to see the ball beter.
Thanks Eric

“A women’s CG tends to be lower because more weight is concentrated in the pelvis area and thighs compared to a man.”

Just a thought....

Thanks Howard

Jul 28, 2008
Here is a nice clip of Joe Morgan a little guy with weight shift that had some pop. I copied Joe as I was coming up and I hit with more power then.
What's important about the shift is keeping the lead foot out in front of the body this will help keep things centered and back. I also like the walking away from the hands in this clip.

29zaq20.gif

2mru1pd.gif

foj5z4.gif

Lil'E VIP

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand