Do you allow TB pitcher to play rec ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 3, 2012
Missouri
We have just moved to a new area, and DD has always played TB. She is an 11 y.o. lefty pitcher playing 12u this year. She did find a new TB team to play with, but her new friends really want her to play ball with them this spring on their local rec team. She would like to play with her friends and still play TB, too. I'm wondering if we should let her play, though, because she is very bashful and timid, and I know how opposing teams can be if they face a really good pitcher. And from what I've heard, these are lower level rec teams.

Ok, yes, I am probably one of those insane pitching parents, but she really is a very good pitcher for her age. She played Little League a little over a year ago and was pitching in a game when she hit one batter in the helmet (that's why they have the helmet rule). It was truly accidental. She was just learning to pitch. She threw hard, but didn't have the greatest control at the time. There was one dad that came out of the bleachers and threw himself against the fence threatening her if she hit another batter. The umpire did eject him from the game, but it really scared my DD, who was barely 10 at the time.

Would you let your DD play both rec and TB? Since we are new to the area, I also don't want to give the other families any impressions that we think she's too good to play with them.

Should we let her play, but not pitch with them?

Aug 5, 2009
Bordentown, NJ
You'll get answers both ways.

Since you're new to the area...rec can be a great way for her to get to know the local girls. ( she doesn't HAVE to pitch)

Dec 3, 2012
Missouri
I told her that, too, and that's probably what we will do. I do know that her new friends are not familiar with TB at all, and they were all pretty excited about the possibility of having a good pitcher on their team in the spring. Guess we will have to keep reminding her that rec ball is for her to be with her friends and just have fun playing no matter what position she plays, and TB will be where she will play to compete at the highest level possible.

ConorMacleod

Practice Like You Play
Jul 30, 2012
Of course you should let her play!! She's 11. Let her have fun. My DD is the exact same age, is a pitcher, and plays both TB and Rec. She plays Rec specifically to work on her pitching. Yes, she does dominate Rec for the most part. But, her coach would usually pitcher her just 2 innings a game. It was a great opportunity for her to work on hitting her spots and to work on her change up on different counts. And, she will also get the opportunity to play other positions, not to mention boost her confidence. Is confidence important for a pitcher? But, most important of all, you should let her play Rec ball because her new friends want her to. She will have a great time, without the "pressure" of TB.

Jul 17, 2012
Of course you should let her play!! She's 11. Let her have fun. My DD is the exact same age, is a pitcher, and plays both TB and Rec. She plays Rec specifically to work on her pitching. Yes, she does dominate Rec for the most part. But, her coach would usually pitcher her just 2 innings a game. It was a great opportunity for her to work on hitting her spots and to work on her change up on different counts. And, she will also get the opportunity to play other positions, not to mention boost her confidence. Is confidence important for a pitcher? But, most important of all, you should let her play Rec ball because her new friends want her to. She will have a great time, without the "pressure" of TB.

Let her decide!!!

The underlined portion is pretty important. If she is dominant... you want to make sure the coach isn't going to use your daughter to "rule the rec league world." That may do just the opposite of helping her solidify friendships. This is of course something you monitor if she decides she wants to play..... not bring up beforehand. You don;t want to be "that Parent" :cool:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Agree with Frozen...if she wants to play rec, let her.

But, you have to recognize that it would be unfair to your DD and the other kids in the *REC* league if she strikes out 21 a game.

May 17, 2012
It just depends on how good the quality of the rec league is. If it's so bad that the catcher can't catch and the fielders can't catch (anything) it will not be a positive experience for a pitcher. As sluggers pointed out if the opposing hitters are so bad she strikes everyone out there will be little value as well.

If that's the case I would play up (if she is 12u play 14u). My DD just brought home the 16u Championship as 12 year old and it was quite a ride. She struck out 10 in 7 innings to seal the deal in the championship game. (Shameless brag).

Feb 3, 2011
Let her play, if that is her wish and it fits with your family's schedule. Regardless of won/loss records, suspect umpiring, and crazy parents, you'll find that most rec players love the social aspects the game and culture.

I agree with you - as the parent - having a conversation with the rec coach beforehand and agreeing to some well-defined limits. In our case, Mojo doesn't pitch for her TB team, so pitching rec allows her to get some circle time here and there when she's available and she doesn't go more than 2 or 3 innings. It's important for rec coaches to develop all the pitchers on their team instead of simply relying on a more experienced or more talented pitcher to win games for them.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207