Do this? OR, do this??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Yes, I hoped it would draw some more valuable stuff out of the likes of BM. It did, and more than I had hoped in just those two clips! But I think my favorite of all was the "Bobble-Head Change" dance.

Jun 19, 2013
Do this??? I think not!

I got to see the perfect example of this live last night. Was eavesdropping on a lesson that a D1 PC was giving and watched the push down, wrist snap and super high follow through training with the hand ending on the shoulder (same thing we learned 18 months ago). Then turned around and watched him throwing BP to a team a half hour later and use i/r himself. Really almost laughed out loud and thought of all that I'm learning here on DFP from so many of you. Glad to be a student of pitching and actually be able to figure out what I want my dd to learn and why - not just be a sheep following along!

Oct 22, 2009
I've witnessed a pretty goof example of Push down/pull up/HE vs, IR.

Last spring I started a 10yr old pitcher, alongside me was another 10yr old getting instruction from a HE instructor.
The 10yr old HE student was pretty big girl and really strong.

Right away the HE student starting pulling away from my student in speed and accuracy, and it didn't help that my IR student wasn't very athletic nor strong.
The HE pitcher's team finished #1 in league, my pitcher finished #2.
They both went on to play All-Stars with my pitcher as #2.

HE pitcher went on to play A ball at 12u, and I convinced my student's parents to stay down and still play league as she really still needed more mechanical adjustments.

Now on to this spring, rumor was the "great 10u pitcher from last season" was struggling in 12u A.
Mine is doing fine, she's got a great change, hits her spots and her drop is decent but were working on it. Throws around 43 and were working on that too.

Got a chance to see the HE pitcher last night and fortunately for me her dad brought out a radar device that sits in front of the bucket and allows her to read her speed when she's throwing. Her dad asked her to call out the speeds. This kid never threw a pitch over 38mph. Her control was wild (Apparently her HE instructor isn't much for mechanics) as the kids falls forward with her donkey kick and there is absolutely no balance when she releases. She was working on balls and strikes, no spots, and you couldn't call her change or drop anything, but sail it over the backstop or throw it in the dirt.

My IR student may have taken a little longer to develop--and she still has a LONG way to got to be ready for A ball, but she's head and shoulders above the other pitcher in just a years time.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Don't-

Think that a girl who's primary miss in hard and inside and hits more batters is on the wrong track

Do-

recognize that if a pitchers primary miss is a grounder to home or over the catchers head then she is probably throwing with the wrong mechanics.

Agree JJ
Vertical misses are typically an indication of poor brush interference. These kids try to get their energy by yanking their upper body rather than using torque.

Don't-

Think that a girl who's primary miss in hard and inside and hits more batters is on the wrong track

Do-

recognize that if a pitchers primary miss is a grounder to home or over the catchers head then she is probably throwing with the wrong mechanics.

Big German!

Banned
Mar 3, 2014
Reciprocal ADDuction is why I explained the importance of ADDuction in another thread.........ADDuction utilizes the lat muscles to pull down the humerus in front of the forearm........Being too closed to the target causes the body to use the deltoid muscle over the shoulder to EXTEND the arm to the target vs. PULLING IT down toward the target........

I was recently asked to visit a PC's lesson to help with a 12yo student's understanding of "throwing across body"..........And why.......

She is starting to make advances in the I/R delivery motion.......This was a critical "next step" for her........

Why is he calling open closed? He is facing 3rd base as a rh and saying stay closed? i thought open was when you have your shoulders facing 3rd base as a rh?

Jul 14, 2008
Why is he calling open closed? He is facing 3rd base as a rh and saying stay closed? i thought open was when you have your shoulders facing 3rd base as a rh?

Good catch Big.........I've always had a hard time with opened/closed........And here's why........

When I'm sideways to the target......My instincts tell me that I'm "closed off" from the target..........And when I FACE the target my instincts tell me that I'm "OPEN" toward the target........

Let me put it this way........You are in the batters box........I let a 70mph fastball go early and it's coming at your mid-section......Do you CLOSE OFF(turn away from) to protect yourself........Or OPEN UP(turn toward me) to expose yourself.........

Do we stay "open" or "closed" to sacrifice bunt? Is it called "open" or "closed" if we turn and face the pitcher to bunt? (which I hope no one teaches anymore).

Does a LH'd slapper try NOT TO OPEN when slapping? Or does she try not to CLOSE when slapping?

Think about it..........It's just how my brain is wired.......

You know it took me 4+ years to convince people here that 9:00 was BEHIND YOU on the pitching clock........I'm not about to try and convince them that OPEN to the target means FACING the target, and closed to the target means NOT facing the target.......:p

Just so everyone knows........I've had a hard time with these terms since I signed up here........:cool:

IMO.........Sideways to a target is CLOSED from it........Facing a target is OPEN to it.......

I'm not a door.......I'm a human.........

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2013
maritimes
this has been confusing me also. not sure if everyone always uses the same reference or it is mixed up, latter seems more likely. i always have to go back and get it straight from older threads