Do riseballs rise? 3Q2011 Edition

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The real issue is that the late vertical-jumping riseball is camera phobic. It just so happens that anytime someone turns on their camera that the magic abruptly halts. It’s phenomena that has persisted since the invention of the video camera.

Mar 18, 2009
La Crosse WI
Sluggers:
1. Gee, I don't remember saying anything about the laws of physics.
2. If your position were true, someone better tell the aviation industry that all their planes can't "rise" off the ground.
3. Re your scoffing at the concept of a late break, pls advise Mariano Rivera who just scored his 602nd save, throwing just one pitch, the cut fastball.
4. Re your outrageous contention a curve doesn't break more than 3", please google Bert Byleven.
5. Re 2 vs 4 seamers, I agree, because I don't think the seams have that much effect on a pitch's trajectory.
6. You haven't caught a riseball pitcher; lots of folks out there claiming to be one.
7. Aa good riseball is nearly impossible to hit. Its upward trajectory is totally opposite the natural loop of most batters. All the time I see pitchers throw a weak rise that starts to climb but peters out due to lack of speed, poor orientation of the spin, or inadequate RPM. The pitch flats right about the time it reaches the plate, and it's meat for a decent batter.
8. Finally I can't believe your last blather about women's rises being flat. What level of ball are you watching? Little sisters of the poor?

Jim
PS quit being so pompous in your posts. You didn't fall onto this forum from a cloud.

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
redhawkridge, I don't believe that a rise ball rises. I've been around some and played some back in the day. What FFS is asking of Hal and possibly you now is to provide video proof that it does rise. As an FYI, my dd pitched some. She threw a "rise." She was pretty decent.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Rick Pauly believed Sarah's riseball rose too, until he saw it tracked frame by frame on video. I believe he thinks differently now. And she was pretty good. :)

Mar 11, 2009
I see Dallas Escobedo's catcher giving lessons twice a week if I remember I will ask her her opinion on the rise ball movement, after all she caught a really good rise all last year

Jan 20, 2010
Redhawk, a curve breaks at a constant rate. Outside of a bugs bunny cartoon no pitch "breaks late"...it is physically impossible. Mariono Rivera's cut fastball breaks from the moment it leaves his hand but because of its velocity and trajectory if has the illusion of breaking late.

Oh...and a rise ball doesn't rise but given sufficient back spin the ball can "fall slower" which can fool the eye into thinking the ball has risen.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Sluggers:
1. Gee, I don't remember saying anything about the laws of physics.
2. If your position were true, someone better tell the aviation industry that all their planes can't "rise" off the ground.
3. Re your scoffing at the concept of a late break, pls advise Mariano Rivera who just scored his 602nd save, throwing just one pitch, the cut fastball.
4. Re your outrageous contention a curve doesn't break more than 3", please google Bert Byleven.
5. Re 2 vs 4 seamers, I agree, because I don't think the seams have that much effect on a pitch's trajectory.
6. You haven't caught a riseball pitcher; lots of folks out there claiming to be one.
7. Aa good riseball is nearly impossible to hit. Its upward trajectory is totally opposite the natural loop of most batters. All the time I see pitchers throw a weak rise that starts to climb but peters out due to lack of speed, poor orientation of the spin, or inadequate RPM. The pitch flats right about the time it reaches the plate, and it's meat for a decent batter.
8. Finally I can't believe your last blather about women's rises being flat. What level of ball are you watching? Little sisters of the poor?

Jim
PS quit being so pompous in your posts. You didn't fall onto this forum from a cloud.

Hello Red ...

You do realize that there are huge differences between an airplane and a softball. For starters, a pitched ball typically slows down after it is released ... it isn't like it has a self-contained engine that allows it to pick up speed after release ... and it isn't like it has some sort of built-in guidance system that detects the presence of a bat and jumps over it.

You have provided absolutely nothing in your post to support an assertion of a late upward breaking riseball.

I recognize that you may be joking in this post of yours ... but on the off-chance that you are even remotely serious, then a video of any one of the riseballs that you have witnessed would be appreciated. If you don't have one handy ... as is likely for those that spout off about nonsense (or issues that they don't have a grasp on yet) ... then don't be afraid to grab a video camera and collect video of people throwing riseballs ... and yes, I understand how the magic goes away when the camera is turned on, but go ahead and video it anyway.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild