Do parents have to like the coach?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
(10u rec)

Sluggers' thread inspired me to write this.

I'm a first-time coach and I'm very laid-back, by nature. My assistant is also a first-timer, but has 10 years playing experience. Having talked at length about our individual coaching philosophies, what we hope to get from the experience, what we hope the girls and their parents will gain from the experience, and what our expectations are for everyone in the 'family', I am confident that we'll make a great pair.

Some parents are not going to like the fact that I don't want them talking to their players in the dugout during games. That's their problem. Softball has the potential to be a very dangerous sport and if a player isn't fully focused from the time she steps on the field until the end of the game or practice, she could get hurt. I want them to be in the habit of blocking out anything that isn't relevant to the game.

I will never criticize a 10u rec player for making a mistake. That's a personal rule. I do, however, reserve the right to criticize a player if she is not giving 100% effort in my opinion. If Sally has been depressed lately because Grandma is sick or because of a bad grade in school, that's different. If the player cannot or does not wish to share that with me, then in cases like this, I would hope the parents would give us a heads-up. Some kids aren't able to compartmentalize things very well, and we don't want to put a player in a position where she's going to get hurt or be a detriment to her team. But assuming nothing's really wrong, lack of hustle will not be acceptable.

Some parents aren't going to like that, but again, that's their problem. I will inform each parent of this at our preseason team meeting. They will know what we coaches will and won't do, and they will know what we expect from the players and the parents. If we do not establish verbally and in writing what our expectations are, it's not reasonable for us to expect players and parents to just know these things, nor can we hold them responsible for something they were never told.

No 2 consecutive practices will ever be the same and we'll work games into the drills that we're doing. Early in the season, we're planning to break down the team into groups based on where they're at in terms of experience, ability, and knowledge of the game. For example, our current starting infielders can all throw the ball on a rope. There's no need to stick them in the beginner throwing drills.

There may be a parent or 2 who want their kid to get out of the beginner section, and while learning the fundamentals is vitally important to being successful out there, we fully understand the parent's point-of-view. So, if a parent emails me and requests that Suzy be moved to the intermediates (or orange group, whatever), then I'll politely ask them to tell me about Suzy's at-home practices.

I want to be able to spend as much time teaching girls the game - and as little time managing the parents - as possible.

Am I being overly optimistic and inflexible here??

Sep 3, 2009
I've noticed a few teams the give a handout at the very beginning of the season, about expectations for the players, and the parents. Lay it all out on the line up front, and just be sure and communicate with everyone. Sounds like you've got it figured out well.

Feb 9, 2011
Parents are a dangerous thing. They fuss if you are to hard and want the girls to just have fun. BUT, then if the girls are just having fun and not winning you start gettihg the calls about they are not bieng coached right even though they won't come help or practice with their kid at home. Parents want ot win kids want to have fun.

Good luck, and remember no matter what you are doing more by trying than most parents ever will.

Jan 12, 2011
Vienna, VA
In my opinion the answer is yes and no. If the parents don't like you won't have many returning players next year and your life will be miserable but that won't be enough for you to lose your coaching position in a rec league.

If you're doing things right in rec league most of the players and parents are going to be happy. If you have a couple of parents who aren't on board just remember you can't make everyone happy and keep doing what you're doing. If you've got a bunch of parents mad at you then I would look in the mirror.

Keeping the girls in the dugout focused on the game is a challenge. I wouldn't be too hard on them on that. If Mom or Dad wants to come over and say "nice hit" or "shake it off" I have no problem with it. Encourage them to keep doing those goofy cheers. Assign an assistant coach or the person keeping the scorebook to be the dugout "enforcer".

I don't think most parents will have a problem with you correcting or sitting a player that is not paying attention or giving her all. Keep in mind some kids will start to wilt in the heat or if the game isn't going their way. In my opinion it's better to encourage them to stay out there and fight through adversity than to give them the easy out by putting them on the bench.

I understand breaking up the kids into groups based on skill level but I wouldn't identify these groups as "advanced", "beginner", etc. If they are just groups that happen to work on different skills you won't have parents or players trying to move up to the "higher" group.

Jul 9, 2010
no matter what you do, some people will be angry, or not like, or accuse you of playing favorites, etc. Goes with turf. At the end of it all, though, you are a role model for these kids, so keep your cool, and hae a positive influence.

You are way more organized than when I started. Of course for me, I didn't really volunteer. It was the classic coach quits early in the season, and I was the only dad hanging around to watch practices, so the other parents nominated me. 10 years later, and I'm still learning the game, and how to teach it.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Rec ball is a great place to get your feet wet as a coach. Your players and parents
will have a great year. Best of Luck!! One tip, after games and practices, when you
chat with the team, do it inside the fence when possible. They will retain their focus
and parents will be outside the fence and out of earshot. If DD is happy, you will
have no parent interference

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
sounds like a good plan to me. Important to keep parents on the sidelines but even more important to keep friends and siblings away. on our U10 team a few years ago, we had the father of one of our kids take my glove to play catch with his daughter during the game! the same guy dropped off a box of donut holes/munchkins with his DD because he didn't feed her before the game- and then disappeared. (This girl had a weight problem anyway and the LAST thing she needed was that crap!)

friends and siblings seem to think they are entitled to sit on the bench, run around, steal gloves or bats and have players chase them...

as you might be able to tell, I have very little patience for this sort of thing.
When a player gets hurt, having a parent there can be very helpful, but the rest of the time- sit back and enjoy the game!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez