Do different parts of the country run tournaments the same?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2009
I live in North Texas, and here recently they have changed the way they run the tournaments. Last year, you would have a 4 game guarantee. You would have two pool games (that are games that are just practice and do not count). Then you would have the bracket schedule. You keep playing until you lose two games.
This year they have changed everything. Now it is a 6 game guarantee. You play 6 teams and whoever has given up the least runs moves on to bracket play. If you make it to bracket play, then you play till you lose two games (or the championship - whichever comes 1st).
Just out of curiosity, how is tournament play in your area?

Elizabeth

Jul 28, 2008
Our standard invitational schedule is 4GG. 3 round robin games on Saturday. Bracket single elimination play on Sunday. ASA, NSA and USSSA all follow this type of play.

Oct 19, 2009
In Ohio we're playing a few formats. Two pool plus doulble elim is still the most common. In two weekends we play 3 pool then single elim. Weekend after that we play 5 round robin, no brackets. Couple weeks later, we do a 6GG with 4 pool then double elim.

Mar 15, 2010
Mostly 3gg with 2 pool, single elim in socal. Some larger tourney are 4gg, double elim. Have not played in any 5 or 6 gg with the exception of round robin friendlies.

Feb 19, 2009
Here in the east coast mid-atlantic region, ASA, Pony and NSA do 3 games of pool play followed by single elimination. USSSA is the only one I know of that does 2 games of pool play followed by double elimination.

Aug 17, 2009
Baltimore, MD
In Maryland most tournaments are all 4gg. 3 pool play games on Saturday followed by single elimination on Sunday. All State tournys are double elimination. We are travelling to PA for the Memorial Day Tournament and it is a 7 or 8gg I believe. Real nice run tournament every year.

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
varies. single Elim, double elim, with 'if" game, without "if" game, pool play for fun, pool play used to seed brackets, etc.

I prefer pool play used to seed the brackets. But I also prefer double elim. dont often go together.

Jan 13, 2010
Here in the New England area with ASA, PONY and NSA the vast majority of the tourneys are 4GG with 3 pool on Saturday and single elim on Sunday...ASA States/Regionals are standard ASA 3 Game min format just like other ASA Championship play

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish