Do D3 Coaches recruit at tournaments the same way at D1 or D2 schools?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 7, 2013
The comment from the OP about worrying that the coach would "fall in love with" the taller pitcher rather than his shorter DD reminds me of a group of girls that I knew back in high school. There were four girls in that group, three of them weren't bad looking, but one of them was drop dead gorgeous. So, when these three girls wanted to go boy hunting they would never invite their gorgeous friend because all the boys would chase her instead of them. So, perhaps, you should invite the coach to watch your DD when, for some reason (organic or orchestrated) the taller pitcher isn't there!?

Jul 4, 2014
If its an academic focused D3 grades are more important than skill in some cases. I know a few kids who are stud athletes that the top academic schools won't look at. Probably because they know they can't get them and that they won't qualify academically. If your DD realistically can play at that school just have her call the coach. A lot of the top academic D3s have a hard time getting kids because the really good kids go D1 or don't have grades for them.

What year is your DD?

Goinglefty, my dd is a sophomore. After our convo last evening, she's decided that she's going to invite the coach out to watch her and that she's just got to do her best, that's all. I told her that she can only control what she can control - which is her performance. Everything else is out of her control - so why worry about those things. Right? :)

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Originally Posted by quincy
Short kids cannot play OF either, the ball goes over their head.
Yep...that's why shorter girls pay the infield because they are closer to the ground.:p

Dec 19, 2012
Tall girls are too lanky and don't have the speed to play OF. Short girls should stick to soccer and tall girls to basketball. Softball is for girls 5' 7" - 5' 9".

Do we measure by school height or actual height?

Apr 14, 2011
Goinglefty, my dd is a sophomore. After our convo last evening, she's decided that she's going to invite the coach out to watch her and that she's just got to do her best, that's all. I told her that she can only control what she can control - which is her performance. Everything else is out of her control - so why worry about those things. Right? :)

Yeah. If its meant to be its meant to be.

Speaking of recruitment timelines D2/D3 and high academic D1s (Ivy or similar) in general seems to be a little later than other D1. Mostly because they have to see SAT/ACT scores, but keep in touch with these coaches and start that relationship. I was speaking to a D2 coach (in a non fully funded program). In most cases he said he doesn't get serious about looking at kids until the summer before senior year. Not because of anything other than the kids he likes as freshman/sophomores usually either end up getting D1 offers he can't compete with financially or the athletes don't have the test scores to qualify them for any academic money so it's not really a good fit financially for them with his athletic offer alone. He usually start tracking interested PSA's (prospective student athlete's) once they finish sophomore year.

What he did say that was very important in the recruitment of an athlete was their obvious strong desire to go to their school. Kids who are persistent and visit the school via unofficials and get to know him have an infinitely better chance than the less persistent ones. Basically he won't really chase down players... even if they are taller than the other kid that is really interested.:p

Jul 4, 2014
Yeah. If its meant to be its meant to be.

Speaking of recruitment timelines D2/D3 and high academic D1s (Ivy or similar) in general seems to be a little later than other D1. Mostly because they have to see SAT/ACT scores, but keep in touch with these coaches and start that relationship. I was speaking to a D2 coach (in a non fully funded program). In most cases he said he doesn't get serious about looking at kids until the summer before senior year. Not because of anything other than the kids he likes as freshman/sophomores usually either end up getting D1 offers he can't compete with financially or the athletes don't have the test scores to qualify them for any academic money so it's not really a good fit financially for them with his athletic offer alone. He usually start tracking interested PSA's (prospective student athlete's) once they finish sophomore year.

What he did say that was very important in the recruitment of an athlete was their obvious strong desire to go to their school. Kids who are persistent and visit the school via unofficials and get to know him have an infinitely better chance than the less persistent ones. Basically he won't really chase down players... even if they are taller than the other kid that is really interested.:p

DD is aware that she won't get any genuine interest from her dream school's coach until she shows that she's a definite admit. However, like you said, she wants to build a relationship with the coach. She's going to a College Fair next month and her dream school will be there. She intends on visiting that booth to introduce herself plus gather info. Later in October, she's planning an unofficial visit to the school. Reason for the unofficial visit is her team will be in the area for a tournament - hence the invite to watch her play. She hopes that by initiating contact and having the coach come out and watch her play, both those things will help pave the way for further dialog. That was her intent all along until she started worrying that her dream school coach (like many other coaches) will only notice the tall pitcher. I think she's over that now. lol! Anyway, she's a persistent one ... she'll likely "hound" her way into the school. lol! Last sentence will definitely make dd feel good! Thanks.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
I know that coaches are there to find the best possible player for their team but will an academically focused d3 coach approach any player or are they more concerned about grades and ability to get into the school? Do they willy-nilly hand out their Business cards to anyone who looks great regardless of grades?

Anyone with experience in this area? Thanks!

First time we met DD's new D3 head coach was at a showcase after she had just been hired to take over the program. She knew she had 8 seniors leaving after that upcoming season and therefore she needed players. She went to each and every field and handed out business cards to any girl or TB coach that was interested. It's not like the cards are made of gold. DD called her that night and thus began a relationship made up of phone calls, unofficial visits, and emails.

Long story short, DD (5'5") will be pitching this year at a D3 school she absolutely loves, for a coach she would go through a wall for, and for a team that in the new coach's first year (although she had been a D1 assistant head coach for 12 years previously - and an All American NCAA champion 6' pitcher at UCLA) won their conference and made D3 regionals for the first time ever.

As long as a player is OK with no athletic money and making the most of grants and academic scholarships, a D3 coach will listen...just my little anecdote...FWIW...:cool:

Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
DD has verbally committed to play at a D3 school that is highly competitive academically and also- was her #1 choice. She went to a summer camp at that school between sophomore and junior year- which was her first contact with coach- which she maintained over her junior year. Comments from coach led DD to believe that other girls she was considering had been on her radar even earlier. That being said, DD was also recruited strongly from academic D3s at Pennsbury academic camp after her junior year. One school strongly recruited DD after coming to see one of her teammates play. One thing is that DD's club team has GPA and test scores on their brochures- so teams know the ball park figures and whether the player can be academically competitive for admission,

Most D3s wanted admissions pre-read of DDs transcript and scores- to see what they think- DD submitted that to her #1 choice school in May/June. Some D3 coaches have no wiggle room with academics, some may balance class with high academic performers.

Anyway- I do not think that there is a down-side to getting coaches to come watch early- but they may not spend the time to do that without knowing what kind of student your DD is. Most important - the great equalizer are test scores- she should take SAT and/or ACT her sophomore year for practice and again in fall of junior year as they want those scores ASAP.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
OP-yes D# coaches recruit and fall in and out of love with players. Look into a camp,
do an unofficial visit to the campus and setup an interview with coach when you will be on campus.
Another avenue, apply to the dream school and walk-on to team. It is D3, there is no athletic $$
in play. Now, if the coach really wants your DD and she meets their academic requirements,
some coaches can 'carry' athletes through admissions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG