Differential Equations and Linear Algebra

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
She is in the engineering School. They can't pick a major until after the second year. She is shooting for a 5 year masters in biomedical engineering with a double major in her bachelors of electrical and computer engineering.

I asked her if this class is will be similar to the calc class she took last semester. She says I hope so I got a 98 in that one. I have no idea where she gets her math skills from.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Those were two of my favorite classes, I hope she enjoys them. I bet as a FP player she's going relate quickly to both of those. I bet a lot of people on here are actually very good with those two subjects but they just don't know it. Adjusting one variable based on another for a solution; and analyzing planes, lines, angles etc. seem to be a common topic everyone here enjoys and understands much more thoroughly than the average person, calling it hitting, fielding or pitching breakdown is just much more familiar than differential equation or linear algebra.

Out of curiosity, what is your DD's major and is she playing FP for the University? I ask because my DD wants to study physics and play at that level.

She didn't even send a single letter to colleges about sports. She wanted to focus on school. Once she got there she missed it so she tried out for the club team and that has been a great fit. They practice a couple of times a week, play triple headers on Sunday's and go to several tourneys. Quite a bit above inter murals and quite a bit below varsity. I will say it's a better brand of softball then HS and the outfield play in the national tourney was stellar

Aug 17, 2016
How your DDs manage to combine study and sport? My literally breaks out of forces.. I even thought of finding some online service of homework help, but I'm not really sure about it.

Me_and_my_big_mouth

witty softball quote
Sep 11, 2014
Pacific NW
She is in the engineering School. They can't pick a major until after the second year. She is shooting for a 5 year masters in biomedical engineering with a double major in her bachelors of electrical and computer engineering.

I asked her if this class is will be similar to the calc class she took last semester. She says I hope so I got a 98 in that one. I have no idea where she gets her math skills from.
My DD thinks she wants to go into biomedical engineering, so I am totally interested in picking your brain on your dd's process and how she chose her school.

That math stuff is scary crazy to me, and I am in awe of the things that these young people are doing in their lives. I shared a parenting "YES!!!" with you, when I read your post about her math class. That's just too cool.

Jun 11, 2013
China, I see posts on social media about how bad kids are today,etc. I must just be lucky, because what I see are more and more kids like your DD who have unbelievable ambition and talent. It makes it easy to get up knowing that kids like this are going to lead the next generation.

Dec 19, 2012
...... she is taking math classes I never heard of before.

Maybe you're an old timer like me. They called it Vector and Matrix Algebra. 3D Euclidean Space, Matrix Theory, Subspaces, Vectory Spaces, blah blah blah.........

Lol....it was classes like this that made me switch from EE to Business Admin.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
My youngest daughter (now 25) completed her Masters degree in statistics from the U of I a couple of months ago and is now employed as an Associate Actuarial Analyst. That all requires some pretty serious math skills.

Me? I barely squeaked through HS algebra. If it wasn't for a really, really good teacher (Mr. Kennett) I may not have even done that, because most times when math teachers put algebra up on the board it looked like the alien language in Independence Day to me.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
My DD thinks she wants to go into biomedical engineering, so I am totally interested in picking your brain on your dd's process and how she chose her school.

That math stuff is scary crazy to me, and I am in awe of the things that these young people are doing in their lives. I shared a parenting "YES!!!" with you, when I read your post about her math class. That's just too cool.

Feel free to private message me any questions you have

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
China, I see posts on social media about how bad kids are today,etc. I must just be lucky, because what I see are more and more kids like your DD who have unbelievable ambition and talent. It makes it easy to get up knowing that kids like this are going to lead the next generation.

I have a great laugh on social media these days when I see people post about the kids today and all of the faults of this generation. I laugh because I can remember when the people complaining were teenagers. And all the BS they did.

I have been very pleased at what I have seen from the kids my DS and my DD graduated with, are there some knuckleheads, sure but my generation had them too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi