Different Pitches for BP

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
Looking for quick/easy links and info on throwing different pitches for batting practice. Emphasis on pitch/spin recognition. Trying to be more realistic! Thanks.

Jan 8, 2013
South Carolina
Tewks, if I understand you correctly this is what my DD 12u team does.

They began by having each batter get in the box and in their batting stance. The pitcher threw approximately 6 pitches to each batter. The coach calls the pitch to the catcher just a like in a game. Once the pitch is delivered the batter must quickly call the spin and if it was a ball or strike. The batter does not swing at the ball. The catcher tells the coach if the batter is incorrect.

That progressed to just regular BP, but the pitcher would first throw 3 pitches the batter just watches and calls the spin and ball/strike. Then live hitting for X number of pitches.

I think the coach calls this drill "hawk eye" or "eagle eye"...or something like that. Anyway, I hope that is something similar to what you were talking about. Since doing this type of drill on a consistent basis the hitting has improved and pitchers get practice time.

May 23, 2012
Eastlake, OH
Once the pitch is delivered the batter must quickly call the spin and if it was a ball or strike.

Are they calling the pitch or the spin? If they are calling the spin what terms do they use for the different spins or rotations?
Upon identifying the spin are the hitters given instruction on what to do differently for that pitch?

Jan 8, 2013
South Carolina
Are they calling the pitch or the spin? If they are calling the spin what terms do they use for the different spins or rotations?
Upon identifying the spin are the hitters given instruction on what to do differently for that pitch?

The coach has them calling the spin and the pitch, then if it is a ball or strike. The terms used for the spin are: forward spin, bullet spin, etc. I have heard the kids say "in-between" meaning between forward spin and a ball spinning horizontally.

I don't think they have progressed to what to do differently for that pitch, but I'm sure that is the next progression. Right now it is all about tracking the ball from the pitchers hand to the plate by identifying the spin as quickly as possible.

Jul 26, 2010
What I do is have 3 tunnels set up with a pitcher and catcher in each tunnel. I have 2 pitches defined for each tunnel. Pitcher pitches from behind a screen (all pitchers should learn to do this). 1 tunnel might be inside drop and change. Tunnel two might be rise and outside curve, ect. Pitcher throws 10 pitches to each batter. The batter has to call the pitch verbally and attempt to hit it. Catcher gives the signs.

This way you limit the options to 2, and the batters learn quickly to distinguish between the two different pitches. The next week you run different combos. This, of course, works better with an organization type practice where you have at least 2 teams running drills at the same time, as you have to rotate pitchers/catchers to avoid fatigue. You want to limit them to about 6 batters between breaks, and of course give them time to hit themselves.

At lower levels (under 14u), I put numbers on balls, 1-4, and fill a bucket. The batter practices good takes (no swings) and has to call out the number from a coach pitching. As they progress the coach spins the ball more. This gets the kids used to focusing on the movement and spin of the ball, rather then just the ball itself. It not only helps pitch recognition later, but it teaches them to focus more on the details of the ball rather then macro level focus. You can do this with a single batter or a team.

Also, our pitchers always throw for about 45m prior to each practice. We encourage the rest of the team to show up and stand in the "batters box" and practice good takes as the pitcher throws. The pitchers always tell the catcher what pitch they are throwing, so the "batters" see a lot of pitches and know what's being thrown. If you ever have players standing around while the pitchers and catchers are throwing, you're wasting valuable time.

-W

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I like some of these responses, I really hate it when a coach says to the pitchers to just throw fastballs down main street during BP... That batter isnt going to see that in a game and the pitcher wouldn't dream of pitching to an opponent that way. So why on earth would we practice this way?!?!
Two of my favorite sayings go right along this thread!
"Practice like you play" & "Practice makes permanent, not perfect, permanently practicing perfectly is the only way to become perfect"

Oct 22, 2009
On my DD's 18u team we would take all 3 pitchers and have them throw a particular pitch, say "rise". Each batter would stand in the box and watch the spin with each pitcher, after every one went through the line up watching the spin, they went back again, this time trying to hit the pitch.
We may just do one spin that particular practice, sometimes 2. Sometimes if we knew about a certain pitcher we would be facing in an upcoming tournament we would train on whatever was her best pitch.
It was a good and competitive workout for both the pitchers and hitters.

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
Tewks, if I understand you correctly this is what my DD 12u team does.

They began by having each batter get in the box and in their batting stance. The pitcher threw approximately 6 pitches to each batter. The coach calls the pitch to the catcher just a like in a game. Once the pitch is delivered the batter must quickly call the spin and if it was a ball or strike. The batter does not swing at the ball. The catcher tells the coach if the batter is incorrect.

That progressed to just regular BP, but the pitcher would first throw 3 pitches the batter just watches and calls the spin and ball/strike. Then live hitting for X number of pitches.

I think the coach calls this drill "hawk eye" or "eagle eye"...or something like that. Anyway, I hope that is something similar to what you were talking about. Since doing this type of drill on a consistent basis the hitting has improved and pitchers get practice time.

Sounds similar. I'm trying to get kids to recognize the pitch, recognize the actual ball. I'm not concerned with them calling out the pitch quickly, just that they get it right. The more they do it, the more they will recognize correctly and quickly. Swing thoughts per pitch, understanding where the ball starts and finishes, etc. I'm pairing this with visualization at home for homework, trying to get their body's to feel reactions to pitches...

I can throw (and "talk" AKA looks like this, spins like this, look for this) all the baseball pitches, but softball not so much. I've taught myself to windmill some, but I can just feed straight strikes. Need to step up my game!

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I emailed Hillhouse a few years ago, he sent me a long very descriptive explanation of everything he does and talks about with teams that hire him to pitch. From common tip offs, to what to look for in the count, spotting a pitcher's weaknesses, and etc. Been looking around and can't find the email, but I would bet he would be of great help if you asked him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619