Different bats for different pitchers?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 27, 2012
Does anyone have 12u kids swing lighter bats against fast pitchers and heavier bats against slow pitchers? We're at some tournaments where we play one team in pool that I swear throws 11mph and then on to a better team in the low 50's. If pitching is pretty consistent either way we mash the ball all day. Just hard to jump back and forth.

It takes us half the game to slow down or speed up to match. Contact at those times is weak and easy for the defense to field. Wondering if moving from a -11 to a -9 would assist with any of that.

Aug 20, 2013
Right or wrong, my DD recently started swinging a -9 (just turned 12). She still has a couple -10's as well. She usually uses the -9 for quicker pitchers and as you stated, the -10 for slower pitchers. Tbh, I think she's equally fine with either bat against either pitcher. Her timing is what makes a difference in her success. The bat speed is not enough to mske much of a difference if you ask me. With that said, I have an extra -9 Lxt 32/33 for sale if interested.

my DD struggles against slow pitchers reason being is her timing she gets as far up in the box as possible and 99% of the time is still way ahead of it so she's reaching which causes her to drop her shoulder just a hair but guess what that results into a hit ball but its either a pop up or a easy fly out. so we've been working on her placing the ball on the slow pitchers and seems to be working she bats with a 33/23 mako zero all the time.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Right or wrong, my DD recently started swinging a -9 (just turned 12). She still has a couple -10's as well. She usually uses the -9 for quicker pitchers and as you stated, the -10 for slower pitchers. Tbh, I think she's equally fine with either bat against either pitcher. Her timing is what makes a difference in her success. The bat speed is not enough to mske much of a difference if you ask me. With that said, I have an extra -9 Lxt 32/33 for sale if interested.

Assuming the bat lengths are the same wouldn't your DD want to use the lighter bat (-10) against faster pitching and the heavier bat (-9) against slower pitching?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
No. I don't advise changing the bat. That would change a lot about your swing. I also don't advise moving up and back in the box. Although I do like to hear the opposing coach yell that, when one of my students is pitching. I give her thumbs up.

Aug 20, 2013
Assuming the bat lengths are the same wouldn't your DD want to use the lighter bat (-10) against faster pitching and the heavier bat (-9) against slower pitching?

Yeah, I posted it backwards...gotta stop posting right after I wake up...lol. TBH though, she hits fine with either as long as her timing is on.

May 18, 2009
I've thought about having DD use a heavier bat for slower pitching. She seems to swing a little earlier than she should with slow pitching. At the moment she's hitting very well so no changes to her approach.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
General question not meant to anyone specific....
What does/will 'your' DD do when facing a fast pitcher that decides to throw a change up. What would happen when DD faces a supposed slow/slower pitcher that all of a sudden has 'new found' speed.
BondsvBonds1.gif

"It's the Indian, not the arrow"

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse