Did the umpire make the right call?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 12, 2009
CT
If your batter was in the very front of the 4' x 7' batter's box, the location of the plate becomes immaterial IMHO.

I would think that the opposite is true. The location of the batter in the batter's box is immaterial. The location of the ball when it crosses the plate is what should determine ball or strike.

But I would also agree...good luck trying to win a ball/strike argument with an umpire!

Nov 1, 2009
What I tell my girls is any pitch an umpire calls a strike is in the zone. Any pitch he calls a ball is not. The definition of the rule and the application of the rule are going to be different especially when the discussion is related to the strike zone. I believe you are correct in your interpretation but wrong in your argument.

Dec 12, 2009
CT
What I tell my girls is any pitch an umpire calls a strike is in the zone. Any pitch he calls a ball is not. The definition of the rule and the application of the rule are going to be different especially when the discussion is related to the strike zone. I believe you are correct in your interpretation but wrong in your argument.

You are correct. My only point would be to let my players know that if they move up or back in the box in response to a pitcher's speed or movement, they should not be surprised when pitches they think are balls are called strikes.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
To recap:

The following is true (speaking ASA, but also in all rule sets of which I am aware):

The location of the batter is irrelevant. The strike zone should be applied as if the batter was standing adjacent (at) the plate (ASA 1.Strike Zone)

A pitch hitting the plate is a "ball" (ASA 7.5.A)

Arguing balls and strikes can get you ejected after a team warning (ASA 4.8.C)

In this case, because the umpire clearly stated a misinterpretation of the rule, this is a protestable situation which must take place prior to the next pitch or play (ASA 9.1.A/B)

Bring the rule book onto the field without discussing the use of it with the umpire prior to doing so will very likely get you a warning and/or ejection.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
In this case, because the umpire clearly stated a misinterpretation of the rule, this is a protestable situation which must take place prior to the next pitch or play (ASA 9.1.A/B)

Bring the rule book onto the field without discussing the use of it with the umpire prior to doing so will very likely get you a warning and/or ejection.[/QUOTE]

If not a warning or ejection, all future 'judgement' calls will surely go against you. It is the girls' game and the umpire determines the zone.
Every coach in this forum has seen bad umpires, it is part of the game. Most tournaments, we do get the better of the umpire teams,
the deeper into the tourney we go. Unwritten rule "never question balls and strikes". In defense, I have umpired plenty of games,
normally the parents behind the plate try to help as well! :)

Jan 15, 2009
If you approached the umpire and asked if he agrees that the ball hit the plate and the answer is "yes, but I ruled it was a strike" then you are no longer arguing a judgement call your protesting a rules interpretation in fact it would probably help your case to concede that you agree that it did pass through the strike zone, but just want to clarify the ruling on hitting the plate. It's pretty conceivable to me that at slower speeds the ball could pass through the strike zone, yet land on the plate, that's a pretty key concept I would want to get straight with the umpire (even if it only was for future calls). IME if you approach this situation respectfully you can get a respectful treatment of your inquiry and probably get a reversal and/or a make up call (those don't exist I know). If you charge at blue screaming you won't get your question out before your tossed and being right will be poor consolation while sitting in the parking lot.

My $0.02 if you can't control your emotions while having this conversation then don't have it.

All I can say is that, a pitch that entered the strike zone (above the knees) at the front of the plate and still hit the plate is either a heck of a drop ball, or an extremely slow pitch.

And I'm not a professional "blue", but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express this past weekend, and I thought the position of the batter in the box is irrelevant....

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
=Coach JV]If not a warning or ejection, all future 'judgement' calls will surely go against you. It is the girls' game and the umpire determines the zone.
Every coach in this forum has seen bad umpires, it is part of the game. Most tournaments, we do get the better of the umpire teams,
the deeper into the tourney we go. Unwritten rule "never question balls and strikes". In defense, I have umpired plenty of games,
normally the parents behind the plate try to help as well!

I disagree. It should't have any bearing on the game. If it does, you don't have a real umpire.
Every umpire has seen some bad coaches :rolleyes:
And it isn't "unwritten", it is clearly stated in the rule book. ;)

If you approached the umpire and asked if he agrees that the ball hit the plate and the answer is "yes, but I ruled it was a strike" then you are no longer arguing a judgement call your protesting a rules interpretation in fact it would probably help your case to concede that you agree that it did pass through the strike zone, but just want to clarify the ruling on hitting the plate. It's pretty conceivable to me that at slower speeds the ball could pass through the strike zone, yet land on the plate, that's a pretty key concept I would want to get straight with the umpire (even if it only was for future calls). IME if you approach this situation respectfully you can get a respectful treatment of your inquiry and probably get a reversal and/or a make up call (those don't exist I know). If you charge at blue screaming you won't get your question out before your tossed and being right will be poor consolation while sitting in the parking lot. My $0.02 if you can't control your emotions while having this conversation then don't have it.

I don't think you need that conversation for a protest since the umpire already said he called the pitch based on the location of the batter which is a misinterpretation.

But you are correct, a calm conversation may turn into a good thing, but I still would never hesitate to protest when you know you are correct.

May 22, 2008
NW Pennsylvania
With all due respect, YOU don't get to make the determination as to whether the ball entered the strike zone. Since the umpire determined that the legally pitched ball entered the strike zone, the rest of the conditions of the rule you cited are moot and not subject to protest - unless you feel like getting run to the parking lot out of sight and sound.

Under your interpretation, every turnover drop that enters the strike zone above the batter's knees, takes the familiar 6-8 inch descent straight down but is not properly caught has to be called a ball - which is patently ridiculous...

I have never seen a pitcher throw a drop that crossed the front of the plate at the knees & still hit the plate..........except in sloooo-pitch:)

Jul 14, 2008
I'm curious as to how it was called regarding dropped third strike. If the ball bounced before the catcher it should be a dropped third strike and the batter is free to try an obtain first base. Did the umpire immediately call the batter out or just call strike three and wait?

lelwell

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207