Device/Software for recording swings

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
I've been using the White 3. Set it up at dugout focused on hitters. The only way to zoom in is afterwards within gopro studio and the footage become too grainy. I am using an sandisk extreme sd card as well. I originally wanted to sync up 3 cameras for 3 different angles--I went with the white 3 because it was the cheapest model that allowed wireless syncing. But now after using the gopro all fall, I am thinking about switching to this camera: Sony Handycam CX405 Flash Memory Camcorder Black HDRCX405B - Best Buy

I can tell you that there is a vast difference in quality between the Hero 3 White and everything else. I have a couple of these, and they really are of poor quality; but again, it is what you would expect for the money. You would even see a substantial increase in quality with just the Hero 3+ Silver.

I don't have much knowledge of the HandyCam, but based on the specifications, I think it would do what you are looking for. Just note a couple of things:
1.)It most likely would not get wide enough to shoot the entire field (if that is of interest to you)
2.) It will only process MP4 files up to 720p resolution; and only 30 frames per second. If you want higher resolution and/or frames per second, you will have to shoot in AVCHD or XAVC S modes. This means you will most likely have to post process all of your video, and the files will be substantially larger than other related video files.

Oct 17, 2014
I can tell you that there is a vast difference in quality between the Hero 3 White and everything else. I have a couple of these, and they really are of poor quality; but again, it is what you would expect for the money. You would even see a substantial increase in quality with just the Hero 3+ Silver.

I don't have much knowledge of the HandyCam, but based on the specifications, I think it would do what you are looking for. Just note a couple of things:
1.)It most likely would not get wide enough to shoot the entire field (if that is of interest to you)
2.) It will only process MP4 files up to 720p resolution; and only 30 frames per second. If you want higher resolution and/or frames per second, you will have to shoot in AVCHD or XAVC S modes. This means you will most likely have to post process all of your video, and the files will be substantially larger than other related video files.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I wish I had talked to you before I bought the white 3! =)

Thanks for the explanation of the handycam, I was just about to make the purchase. I need one good camera just for hitters, but i need 1080 resolution at 60fps, WITHOUT having to post process the video. I want to be able to add it directly to dropbox where I can view it on kinovea and the players can access from their phones. So, know any reasonably priced cameras that can do that? During practices, I have just been using the samsung tablet. It's not a high resolution or high frame rate, but I get a better quality then what I get from the gopro, plus it is very easy to add the video to dropbox and instantly view it on desktop or mobile.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I was talking to Rick Pauly yesterday about recording software... He suggested buying an old TiVo off of ebay, hook it up to an old tv, video record your dd/player with a camcorder, and with a little technical skills, you'll be able to have a nice slo-mo analysis. The only downside would be its not mobile.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi