Device/Software for recording swings

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 21, 2015
We've always used Coach's Eye as it seems to be the best solution for Android. They just recently added integration with GoPro camera's, which really produce great video. Take a look at this showing the usage:

[video=vimeo;143668095]http://vimeo.com/143668095[/video]

That's pretty slick!

Mar 9, 2015
Years ago was using ubersense but pitching and hitting coaches switched to coaches eye, thus we made the change as well. At softball camps seems like I'm hearing more Popeyes talk about coaches eye software. We have a GoPro for our team and now that coaches eye works with it (haven't tried it yet), should be nice. I never had any issues with ubersense. These two video apps is like Ford and Chevy.

Mar 9, 2015
We've always used Coach's Eye as it seems to be the best solution for Android. They just recently added integration with GoPro camera's, which really produce great video. Take a look at this showing the usage:

[video=vimeo;143668095]http://vimeo.com/143668095[/video]

Not seeing the video on my screen.

Oct 17, 2014
Hudl Technique on tablet. Kinovea on desktop--it's a great free open source program. Interested to see how Coach's Eye work with GoPro. I recorded all of our fall games with a GoPro and I was not impressed with the outcome. The angle is just too wide to get quality video on hitters. Anyone else experience this?

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
Hudl Technique on tablet. Kinovea on desktop--it's a great free open source program. Interested to see how Coach's Eye work with GoPro. I recorded all of our fall games with a GoPro and I was not impressed with the outcome. The angle is just too wide to get quality video on hitters. Anyone else experience this?

It really depends on which GoPro. If it was one of the entry GoPro's (plan Hero or Hero+LCD) they only have ultrawide Field Of View (FOV). This would certainly be too wide. However, the other Hero 4 cameras (the Silver and Black) have additional options: Wide, Medium and Narrow. If you just want the batters, then Narrow FOV usually does a good job. Medium should still capture the entire field from first to third, yet still show plenty of hitter detail.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
It really depends on which GoPro. If it was one of the entry GoPro's (plan Hero or Hero+LCD) they only have ultrawide Field Of View (FOV). This would certainly be too wide. However, the other Hero 4 cameras (the Silver and Black) have additional options: Wide, Medium and Narrow. If you just want the batters, then Narrow FOV usually does a good job. Medium should still capture the entire field from first to third, yet still show plenty of hitter detail.

Here is a short game clip set on med on my GoPro silver. Pretty satisfied with what can be seen. Like my 3B missing the initial hit. I've prob shown it to her 10 times lol. At least she made the tag. :)

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vKQQBKZRCUU&feature=em-upload_owner[/video]

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vKQQBKZRCUU&feature=em-upload_owner

Last edited:

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
What did you mean they pairs up with go pro

Not sure which thread you were asking about, but I think you are talking about GoPro pairing up with Coach's Eye. They have recently added this functionality in Coach's Eye. From the app, you can remotely start and stop the GoPro, as well as import the video into your Coach's Eye library for semi-instant analysis. Hope this answers your question.

Oct 17, 2014

I've been using the White 3. Set it up at dugout focused on hitters. The only way to zoom in is afterwards within gopro studio and the footage become too grainy. I am using an sandisk extreme sd card as well. I originally wanted to sync up 3 cameras for 3 different angles--I went with the white 3 because it was the cheapest model that allowed wireless syncing. But now after using the gopro all fall, I am thinking about switching to this camera: Sony Handycam CX405 Flash Memory Camcorder Black HDRCX405B - Best Buy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdwingnut