Derek Jeter Hurricane machine?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 8, 2008
Has anyone used the Derek Jeter hurricane machine? I am looking for a good machine to put in the basement for my DD and son to use during the off season and this seems to fit the bill.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Anything that i have used that is similar to that is SO loud, that I wouldn't want DD hitting it in my basement.

I prefer the jugs toss machine, tee work and the little machines that spit out golf sized whiffle balls. You can easily string a net in the basement or garage.

Feb 9, 2009
HA!! This is SO ironic....my husband asked me yesterday what I wanted for Christmas, and I was embarassed to say that all I really want for Christmas is the Derek Jeter hitting machine for my team.....

am I a dork, or what?

Sep 17, 2009
Anybody remember, or use, the old Johnny Bench batting machine? Basically same as this Jeter thing made of rubber bands rather than high-tech stuff : >

I used to hit off it all the time as a kid (this is in the 70s, btw), and loved it!

I had a softball coach tell me a few years ago not to use these kinds of wrap around tools, the ball path was wrong or some thing. But I bought one of the kinds that tie to a basketball pole and use it for fun (my kids don't use it that much -- I like to bang away at it in the driveway). I forget the name of the thing, but it's a lot cheaper than $180 : >

Are these things good training aids or not?

Jan 6, 2009
Texas
I have one and we have used it a lot - when we have a full blown hitting practice, its one of the stations. Warning though, I had a kid who had a very bad chop swing broke the head of the first one I got, the distributor sent me a replacement immediately. Putting it your basement, wow, you will have to anchor that baby down pretty well. I stake it down out in the park and I have to keep a good watch on it as the girls do their cuts. Most of my girls are big strong girls and most have very solid swings.

Bottom line, we like the thing, we use it, and its a good part of a hitting workout.

Jan 6, 2009
Texas
Anybody remember, or use, the old Johnny Bench batting machine? Basically same as this Jeter thing made of rubber bands rather than high-tech stuff : >

I used to hit off it all the time as a kid (this is in the 70s, btw), and loved it!

I had a softball coach tell me a few years ago not to use these kinds of wrap around tools, the ball path was wrong or some thing. But I bought one of the kinds that tie to a basketball pole and use it for fun (my kids don't use it that much -- I like to bang away at it in the driveway). I forget the name of the thing, but it's a lot cheaper than $180 : >

Are these things good training aids or not?

Thats the HitaWay and you are right, it is a good workout. I had a couple and when my hitters were going to be on vacation, I would let them take one with them, attach to a tree and get their cuts in while they were away.

Be sure you have the kids wear a helmet, I had an inexperienced kid knock her front teeth out with it, she swung, hit the elastic cord instead of the ball, and the bat bounced back into her mouth. My "super star" son, laughing and making fun of the poor kid after that mom left that day about how stupid that girl must have been to be injured with such a simple piece of girl, went out and took some cuts with the one in the back yard basketball pole, did the exact same miss and hit himself in the forehead, major league knot on his head. He shut up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi