Defensive Team Cheering

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 19, 2013
Under ASA rules for 8U, what are the restrictions for girls on Defense (on the field) cheering, chattering?

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Under ASA rules for 8U, what are the restrictions for girls on Defense (on the field) cheering, chattering?

ASA does not have rules for 8U. In general, there is no restriction on cheering as long as it is for their own team/teammate and is not derogatory toward anyone else.

Nov 19, 2013
I feel a little dumb in I knew 8u specfics were not in the asa rules...

I thought there were restrictions like no use of the word swing or hit.

We got called on it at a game for our girls cheering while the pitcher was pitching (we were on defense, so it was our pitcher)

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I thought there were restrictions like no use of the word swing or hit.

We got called on it at a game for our girls cheering while the pitcher was pitching (we were on defense, so it was our pitcher)

Whether it's a rule or not, I'd be pleased if an umpire nipped that.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
We have one coach in our league who insists that her team chants something repetative and irritating in an attempt to distract the hitter's attention. It doesn't break any rules, but every other coach is thoroughly annoyed.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
banana...banana....banana...SPLIT! annoying, low rent, unsportsmanlike and I don't allow it. Any attempt to distract a player is just stupid.

The coach in our league has the players say, "lolly...lolly...lolly...POP!" I agree on the low rent assessment. Personally, I think it distracts the pitchers as much as anyone else.

Nov 19, 2013
We are (were) a drafted team playing against another league who played their all star team in the joint league fall ball thing (hard to explain)... They were winning 8 to nothing.

Our girls were going through normal cheers just having a good time, I think the exact one was "It's Ali's time, It's Ali's time" cheering on our pitcher...We don't get our girls to cheer to distract the other team but to fire them up...

It seemed petty to me of the other coach...but their chief of umpires even said it was a rule girls on defense can't cheer....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06