Dealing with team's diamond diva

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Last game in tourney, because we lost, SS had 10 errors in 3 innings.

DD was pitching but she should have said something.

The reward was the player could not field took over for DD pitching.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I can't tell what you want to use the sarcasm font for, but are you saying that it's a new phenomenon that players call each other out? I am 52 now and when I played it happened all the time. It's also been around that if you did it to the wrong person you might have to learn how to ice a black eye.

I wanted the sarcasm font for the last line about getting a participation trophy. That's what we do today as a society. We try to put everyone on an equal footing. If they're better wage earners; penalize them with higher taxes. If they're better students, dumb down the classes so even the lowest student can compete. If they're better athletes, make sure EVERYONE gets a trophy so the other kids don't feel bad and lose their self-esteem. Like everything else in life, good grades, wages and self-esteem are earned. Trying to tear someone else down to build yourself up is more prevalent now than ever before. And Unfortunately, the kids today, for the most part, will no longer give that black eye. They'll go home crying because they were "bullied."

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
I wanted the sarcasm font for the last line about getting a participation trophy. That's what we do today as a society. We try to put everyone on an equal footing. If they're better wage earners; penalize them. If they're better students, dumb down the classes so even the lowest student can compete. If they're better athletes, make sure EVERYONE gets a trophy so the other kids don't feel bad and lose their self-esteem. Like everything else in life, good grades, wages and self-esteem is earned. Trying to tear someone else down to build yourself up is more prevalent now than ever.

You make a valid point. However, I think there are times when participation awards to commemorate the effort are also valid. For some people, just getting out on the field - whatever kind of field/event that may be - is a significant personal accomplishment.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
You make a valid point. However, I think there are times when participation awards to commemorate the effort are also valid. For some people, just getting out on the field - whatever kind of field/event that may be - is a significant personal accomplishment.

I agree with you wholeheartedly on this Eric. For many, it's just an accomplishment to show up and participate in any sports event and in these special cases, yes they should be handed out. That said, it's not true for a majority of kids IMO. Just because they see a team win the championship trophy through countless hours of team practice and hard work doesn't mean that they deserve one as well when they didn't work as hard.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
He was responding to my comment regarding never running into this issue myself. I remember players being upset with coaches but in 15+ years of baseball/basketball I never remember another player verbally calling out a teammate. A pitcher kicking the dirt when an error was made, yeah that happened. But not getting in someone's face. As you said, maybe it was because they knew that there was a 50/50 chance they would get popped in the mouth.

My experience is almost the opposite. In 9-10 years of watching my DD my travel ball, I've found her teammates to be more supportive and positive than what I experienced growing up playing baseball and softball. I had some crappy teammates. I could've been a better teammate myself. I wondered if that was a male/female thing. Or maybe she was lucky and I wasn't. I don't know the reason. But I don't think youth athletes are worse today than they used to be. Maybe lower 5 percent is worse because sports are taken to seriously today, but by and large, today's young athletes might be better teammates because they're more experienced at it. Those that aren't good teammates can't survive that long.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
I agree with you wholeheartedly on this Eric. For many, it's just an accomplishment to show up and participate in any sports event and in these special cases, yes they should be handed out. That said, it's not true for a majority of kids IMO. Just because they see a team win the championship trophy through countless hours of team practice and hard work doesn't mean that they deserve one as well when they didn't work as hard.

You may work just as hard...but they were better that day. That's life. The saying is very true and I wish more people would realize that
you actually do learn more from losing than you do winning and you show way more what kind of person you are.

Oct 5, 2017
Western Indiana
I am sorry after the age of 10 IMO there are no need for "participation trophies"

At some point, the lesson has to be learned that hard work is rewarded not "just showing up"

And by the way some of the awards that are given out nowadays at tourney are rediculous to be honest. Local 6th grade football team won their "conference" parents bought them rings. Really????:confused:

And the team trophy was bigger than the one given out by the state for the HS state championship.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30