DD's swings during lesson

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Ray, I see what you are getting at but IMO momentum doesn't need to be the enemy if other SnF elements are in place (even in game swings -- see Babe Ruth ; > )....especially in a drill exaggerated movements aren't always a bad thing and can be a good thing to help a student gain a feel. For instance, when I teach walk-up drills, I'll have hitters once they are comfortable turn them into walk-THROUGH swings -- really over-emphasizing the weight shift. Those big movements can then be toned down in a game swing.

Same thing could be said for the boy above's tip -- probably bigger in this drill then in a game.

My two cents.

Good points Rich.

The problem we often see with young hitters is an over use of momentum that has them bypassing the benefits of SnF mechanics. I agree with LC's comment here ... this girl has as much momentum here as she will ever need.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Do you see or feel a difference in the 2 swings?

Yes, I believe I feel what you feel here. Observe the forward head movement. Significant difference here. Something that I believe Bonds was especially good at ... obtaining more than sufficient momentum, while bringing his head forward a rather minor amount.

24w7qle.gif

Jul 20, 2010
Manny_5thDeck_rearangle.gif
Manny_5thDeck_front.gif

Speaking of Manny and the Ethier... it's not just a drill! :)

No it is not.

Ethier told me that between end of season and spring training that if he got lax with working on (his words),,,his balance he could really tell....in just a couple of days. Interesting point, I thought,,,in the context of "hi -level".

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Yes sir, most are capable of getting there leg up like Manny but very few can get it down without falling.

Nov 29, 2011
Imo, stretch.
Does she have to start her hands "all the way back"? No. She can learn to move to there. Something like this; (won't be exact but it's a good visual) This clip goes along with what Rayr is saying about 'controlling with the back leg'.

cabrerra1ststage_zps9d508158.gif

Check out Ray's hitters, notice where the hands are? Compare.

Rays hitters start with their hands loaded, this may be simplifying the swing for beginners

Here is a collage of still pictures depicting "cocked and ready"....and...again, I'd prefer to see a student MOVE TO this spot ,,,,ideally they "flow into it and launch".

I also prefer the hands load as she coils forward/stride. This method will give rhythm, timing, and I believe a quicker bat. Rays method may be a good way to go in the beginning to simplify the feeling. I believe you will find that mastering the stretch (hands loading simultaneously as she is striding) will find your daughter turning the barrel that will make many happy on this site!

To get the feel of the load, hold her shoulders from turning and pull the elbow straight back behind her. I always hold their shoulders so they can feel the scapula pinch and are not mistaking a shoulder turn as a load.

She looks very athletic and will pick this up very quick. Once she has it down off the tee, then tons of front toss until its a no thought process!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors