DD's swings during lesson

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

R

RayR

I don't know who the boy is so I am not criticizing the player.

The main difference I feel when I try and mimic the 2 versions below is that in one I am staying back and the other I feel like I am shifting....

2yuksjm.gif
alrearleg22513.gif

Sep 17, 2009
Ray, I see what you are getting at but IMO momentum doesn't need to be the enemy if other SnF elements are in place (even in game swings -- see Babe Ruth ; > )....especially in a drill exaggerated movements aren't always a bad thing and can be a good thing to help a student gain a feel. For instance, when I teach walk-up drills, I'll have hitters once they are comfortable turn them into walk-THROUGH swings -- really over-emphasizing the weight shift. Those big movements can then be toned down in a game swing.

Same thing could be said for the boy above's tip -- probably bigger in this drill then in a game.

My two cents.

R

RayR

Rich,

I guess my take on it is that momentum (forward/linear movement) needs to be controlled/eliminated while learning SnF mechanics. Rich S uses a phrase, "hitting in a phone booth" - I like that phrase and understand it as a tie in to using your back opposed to your chest to swing a bat.

Momentum is not the enemy unless it is preventing you from staying in the phone booth.

And while I think my hitter's barrel is still in her shoulders too much - it shows how you can control linear momentum and still put up a pretty good swing while making the transition.

rb224131g.gif

Jul 20, 2010
I don't know who the boy is so I am not criticizing the player.

The main difference I feel when I try and mimic the 2 versions below is that in one I am staying back and the other I feel like I am shifting....

2yuksjm.gif
alrearleg22513.gif

The young lady has all the momentum she will ever need.

Sep 17, 2009
Rich,

I guess my take on it is that momentum (forward/linear movement) needs to be controlled/eliminated while learning SnF mechanics. Rich S uses a phrase, "hitting in a phone booth" - I like that phrase and understand it as a tie in to using your back opposed to your chest to swing a bat.

Momentum is not the enemy unless it is preventing you from staying in the phone booth.

And while I think my hitter's barrel is still in her shoulders too much - it shows how you can control linear momentum and still put up a pretty good swing while making the transition.

Tks Ray....I know the phrase hitting in a phone booth...I get it. I don't teach a momentum-driven swing, not at all. But we also talk a lot about not coaching out athleticism, especially in younger hitters feeling things out. To me "the sequence" is about a flow, and SnF is about resistance and leverage and recruiting (the right) big muscles. They don't need to be mutually exclusive and maybe work best when they work off of each other. Again, my two cents. I like to play around with extremes when I swing, so I can understand different feels and actions. Interested in what others think...