DD's Changeup is speeding up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
DD is 11. I think her overall fastball mechanics are getting better. Arm whip, driving with the legs, etc. but the thing I'm seeing is her changeup isn't that much slower. It use to float, considerably slower. maybe it's just my perception, but then she and I taught it to one of her friends and now her changeup does what DD's used to do.

She is learning a rollover drop and now that seems to be a better pitch than her changeup, where it comes in slower and then falls at the end. But then the drop is supposed to be a fastball-like speed, isn't it?

my questions:
1) is the minimal speed difference maybe indicative that she's not getting enough wrist snap on her fastball?
2) her changeup is basically the backhanded release. is there another way to do this or is there maybe something we are forgetting about?

Also, earlier in the season when she would throw her changeup, she was slowing down her wind-up in order to slow the pitch down. I told her to speed it up and make it the same windup as her fastball.
Her control is getting better, it's just her changeup isn't the money pitch it used to be and it worked really well. great fun to watch!

Apr 14, 2010
Try palming the ball a little more. A little less fingers Just a slight adjustment can be the difference. Also a little tighter grip will help slow it down. But as you know slowing the arm speed down is not the best solution in respect to 'selling' the pitch. And wrist snap is crucial.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Thanks, we'll try it. That sounds reasonable, it's been so long since she learned the changeup, both of us don't remember any details like more palm/less fingers and a tighter grip. I bet those to adjustments will make a big difference!

We haven't been able to see PC in a few weeks, otherwise I would've asked her.

Thanks!

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
It depends on how your daughter was taught to throw her changeup. The way I teach it, you need to bend the elbow slightly/lift the ball a little bit so the release is flat. You also drag the ball through the release zone. But that might not be the way she was taught to throw it.

One thing to check is whether she's keep the arm slow through most of the downswing and then speeding it up at the end. I often find that to be a problem when the change is too fast. Have her try to bring her arm down quickly from the top of the circle all the way through release. That might help.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Thanks Ken! Part of the problem is her teacher and that was me. I don't remember what I had learned in order to teach her. (I can't remember what socks I'm wearing without looking, let alone what I was thinking a year or two ago:D ) The good news is she has a Pitching Coach now and it's a very good fit.

The slight bend at the elbow/flat release sounds good. I can understand how that would be effective. This has me thinking about experimenting with a knuckle ball grip as well.

Last night my wife was reminding me of last year on two separate occasions when she was at a game, talking to a (higher level) coach who stopped mid sentence and said "....was that a changeup???" because it seemed to defy the law of gravity, like a Bugs Bunny cartoon.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
I teach to use a stiff wrist and I chop my stride off, a bit. Instead of a soft landing on the toe of the left foot, I practically stomp. My hand is all over the ball, with it tucked in the palm. The ball comes off of the thumb, last.

Have her stand about 15 feet from you and start throwing the CU from there. Then, move her back little by little. She should be throwing it to almost every batter, at this point.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Thanks Amy - easily accommodated technique modifications, I'll have her try it as you said.

She does throw it regularly, but she complained that "they're hitting my CU this year". They're hitting it foul, but any contact at all was rare last year. Between our messed up schedule and rain, we've only had two games in almost 3 weeks. we will have 3 games this weekend.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck