DD's Arm Circle....Hopefully it is Better??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
DD is working on this drill. She has a question about how far out the hand is supposed to go from the shoulder. It's obviously not over the shoulder or too far out, but she is having problems figuring out how far too get it without going to far.
One more question: She is experiencing soreness at shoulder near armpit. She says that she feels it there whenever she gets to 12 o'clock and beyond. Is this normal?

Jul 14, 2008
DD is working on this drill. She has a question about how far out the hand is supposed to go from the shoulder. It's obviously not over the shoulder or too far out, but she is having problems figuring out how far too get it without going to far.

For this 3/4 drill the ball should be just over the shoulder (deltoid) tip as it passes over the top. Start out feet/hips/shoulders turned 45 degrees from the target. Point the ball directly forward from the shoulder with a slight (20 degree) bend in at the elbow. If you take the ball straight up from this position, the ball should be just above the shoulder tip........

One more question: She is experiencing soreness at shoulder near armpit. She says that she feels it there whenever she gets to 12 o'clock and beyond. Is this normal?

NO THIS IS NOT NORMAL.........There should be ZERO pain in the arm circle........ESPECIALLY with an abbreviated arm circle, where there is virtually no vertical or horizontal load on the glenohumeral (shoulder) joint......Or excess stress on the rotary cuff.......

Something's not right.........

If you STAY 45 degrees to the target, this is about the easiest/least stressful drill to perform because of the abbreviation in the arm circle and lack of load on the shoulder joint/rotary cuff........

Why is she doing this drill? Did she previously have an arm circle that was excessively over her head to the glove shoulder side?.......

STOP ALL CIRCULAR MOTION if there is pain in the arm circle until someone who knows what they're doing evaluates the source of the pain.........A doctor might be a good place to start........

Post a clip or get with a KNOWLEDGEABLE pitching coach........

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
NO THIS IS NOT NORMAL.........There should be ZERO pain in the arm circle........ESPECIALLY with an abbreviated arm circle, where there is virtually no vertical or horizontal load on the glenohumeral (shoulder) joint......Or excess stress on the rotary cuff.......

Something's not right.........
More than likely the way we are doing the drill is the problem.

If you STAY 45 degrees to the target, this is about the easiest/least stressful drill to perform because of the abbreviation in the arm circle and lack of load on the shoulder joint/rotary cuff........
This is most likely the culprit.

Why is she doing this drill? Did she previously have an arm circle that was excessively over her head to the glove shoulder side?.......

STOP ALL CIRCULAR MOTION if there is pain in the arm circle until someone who knows what they're doing evaluates the source of the pain.........A doctor might be a good place to start........

Post a clip or get with a KNOWLEDGEABLE pitching coach........[/QUOTE]

I don't want to hijack Boomer's thread. I'll start a new one.

SUPERFIN

Banned
Aug 30, 2013
WOW...........Just WOW..........

4uwi1z.gif

As far as missing high with her new, HUGELY improved circle...........It's just a matter of "new"........

You can't expect to make this big of an adjustment without other things needing to "figure out" their roles in the adjustment........

If she keeps missing high..........Make her throw a few in the dirt in front of the plate until her body adjusts to the new timing..........NO BIG DEAL..........

Tell her I said OUTSTANDING job..............

Oh and that old glove swim???.........We never had to speak about that did we..........;)

Wow this is great!

Oct 7, 2013
Hello All,

I am new to the board and have read this post all the way through. My daughter is a 10 y/o 4th year player who has just started showing a true interest in pitching. She has had the same problem mentioned in this post and after watching I have an idea on how to help her, but I have a few questions first. First on post # 50 there are three videos. Which one of those are the proper form for the circle? And second, my daughther throws alot of picthes high out of the strike zone, do you have any tips on how to help her with this?
Thanks Henry

Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
Hello All,

I am new to the board and have read this post all the way through. My daughter is a 10 y/o 4th year player who has just started showing a true interest in pitching. She has had the same problem mentioned in this post and after watching I have an idea on how to help her, but I have a few questions first. First on post # 50 there are three videos. Which one of those are the proper form for the circle? And second, my daughther throws alot of picthes high out of the strike zone, do you have any tips on how to help her with this?
Thanks Henry

First, welcome to the board. Hopefully it will help you as much as it has helped mt DD and I.
In post 50 of the 3 videos, I think the best arm circle is the third one but the first one is good to. As long as the arm is not wrapping her head like my DD was doing in the middle video. Keep in mind, there is no "cookie cutter" pitchers and every girl is different. However, there are certainly those absolutes that must be acheived and a good arm circle is one of them IMO. As for missing high, BM suggested pitching a few in the dirt to get the "feel" for it and that immediately worked for my DD. Also, often times I will tell my DD to release earlier than she thinks she has to if she seems to struggle more than a few pitches. That seems to help. Good luck!

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Welcome to DFP! New guy makes coffee. Just a little sugar and cream please.

It's tough to diagnose "high" without really seeing the pitcher. If you feel comfortable doing so, post a video from the side and one from front/back. Better to make sure the basics are in place before trying to address a possible symptom.

Ken

Oct 7, 2013
Thanks Boomers. She is having a problem with having the ball too far over her head. She is also leaning forward when releasing. She recognizes that as soon as it happens any ideas for that correction?

Thanks to you Ken B as well. I can relate to the "new guy" role I am a fireman so I get it lol. I will video her and post it. She really works hard but seems to be getting a bit frustrated. She really enjoys playing ball and I dont want her to get discouraged. Thanks for any and all help.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan