Dd9yo

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Short on time.

This swing here represents swinging through a "Lazy-L" (as opposed to a "Power-Vee" ... at the RVP connection point position). You'll want to correct that.

Exactly what I was going to advise.
Keep her hands closer to rear shoulder. Have a "power V" in right arm (upper arm and forearm closer together forming a V in rear arm. Keep closer to a right angle in the front arm elbow.

Apr 24, 2012
Exactly what I was going to advise.
Keep her hands closer to rear shoulder. Have a "power V" in right arm (upper arm and forearm closer together forming a V in rear arm. Keep closer to a right angle in the front arm elbow.
ok thanks any q's or drills I should do for that?

Mar 5, 2014
This is an issue(drops hands, bars front arm, and barrel doesn't turn):
handsdrop2.jpg

Have her learn to turn the barrel with her hands(not arms) like this:
StealthDrill.gif

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
We've seen this girl before...http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-hitting-technical/16291-9-yo-dd-swings.html

For the most part, her swing is looking very good for a young hitter. I agree that her hands drop too much going after lower pitches, but on higher pitch locations, I like a lot of what she's doing. A cue that I've been using recently with my DD might help..."the top hand needs to work under the bottom hand" (ref. the clip bamajeff posted). This may help her thought process to keep her hands above the ball.

My nit-pick...It should be a coiling stretch around the rear hip, rather than a linear stretch. She coils into the hip on her negative move, but loses the coil as she stretches linearly - hold the coil! Her hands are pushing rearward a bit on her stretch, and loses some of the connection to her torso. There's some very good discussion about stretching around the rear hip and turning the barrel behind the corner here...http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-hitting-technical/13734-what-does-corner-mean-you.html

An upward swing path isn't a bad thing until it becomes too extreme. For the most part, a pitched ball will be crossing the hitting zone on a downward trajectory. Matching the plane of the pitch with the swing plane means there is a longer window of time available to make contact. I have heard far too many coaches use the cue "swing level", and demonstrate a swing level to the ground. This shortens the time the bat intersects the plane of the pitch just as much as an excessively uppercut swing path.

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010

She needs to engage the upper half during the up front (pre-swing) actions. These upper/lower actions should be balanced so that when her COM is moving forward she maintains balance with her reactions.

Her current swing doesn't involve the spine correctly which makes her upper passive until the momentum is captured and fired... Her mechanics will work fine for one pitch if her timing is correct.

Aug 2, 2013
This is my 9yo shes playing her first year of 10u A TRAVEL. How does her swing look I think shes in sequence? Her coach is telling her she has a uppercut swing and she has to stay on plane with the ball. I agree sometimes in practice she looks like she is swinging for the fences but i think that is more of her getting tired from taking to many swings. Some things im concerned with is 1. somtimes the barrel drops below her hands 2. Her back foot slides up towards her front foot.

Let me know what you guys think and what i should be working on?

My advice to you is to not seek advice for your DD here.
You'll get lost in all the advice.
Or, search the posts from Bucketdad. He really knows the 411. What ever happened to him? Where'd he go?:confused:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad