DD wants to play IF

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 12, 2014
DD had a short time where she thought she lost her middle infield position to girls that were not as good as she was. The truth of the matter is that they needed her speed, glove, and softball IQ out in center field. Once I explained that to her she has taken that & ran with it and really embraces her outfield role now.

The obvious question is why didn't the coach explain this to her?

Jan 22, 2011
DD had a short time where she thought she lost her middle infield position to girls that were not as good as she was. The truth of the matter is that they needed her speed, glove, and softball IQ out in center field. Once I explained that to her she has taken that & ran with it and really embraces her outfield role now. I know that she wishes she could play IF more though. She does occasionally get some innings in the dirt on her TB team but is in center 80% of the time. School ball is a different story lol...coaches favorites are generally the infielders regardless on the school teams.

I haven't verified this first hand, but I've been told the girls who get the most scholarship money are Pitchers, SS, CF, and catchers, basically in that order.

Feb 26, 2015
My dd’s going to be fighting for an infield spot next spring. And I’m the mom. Where do I start ? Are there good YouTube videos ? Especially for footwork ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 12, 2016
Played outfield all my life and loved it. I helped win a lot of games in the outfield with a good throw or diving catch. Outfielders at lower age groups get a lot of disrespect.. as they get older, the outfield needs to be stellar. An outfielder needs to be moving on every play, it's an important role and get the recognition it deserves.

May 12, 2016
I haven't verified this first hand, but I've been told the girls who get the most scholarship money are Pitchers, SS, CF, and catchers, basically in that order.

I know CF has more running to do and is generally your best OF.. but I found playing CF much easier than LF. I just felt balls were hit harder down the line with a lot more spin.

I've heard scouts look at Pitchers, Catchers, SS.... first

Jan 22, 2011
I know CF has more running to do and is generally your best OF.. but I found playing CF much easier than LF. I just felt balls were hit harder down the line with a lot more spin.

I've heard scouts look at Pitchers, Catchers, SS.... first

My DD played a lot of LF this past year. I've heard you put put your weakest arm of your best OF's in LF. I put SS 2nd because over the years in the youth and HS level I've seen that most SS's can be converted to CF's and catcher's if necessary.

May 12, 2016
My DD played a lot of LF this past year. I've heard you put put your weakest arm of your best OF's in LF. I put SS 2nd because over the years in the youth and HS level I've seen that most SS's can be converted to CF's and catcher's if necessary.

Regarding LF, that's right, short throw to 3rd base... that's why you put your gun in RF, long throw to 3rd. Reading the ball down the lines is more difficult than in CF IMO from personal experience. My DD was a SS who converted to catcher.. mostly because she had a gun and wasn't afraid of the ball.

Jan 22, 2011
Regarding LF, that's right, short throw to 3rd base... that's why you put your gun in RF, long throw to 3rd. Reading the ball down the lines is more difficult than in CF IMO from personal experience. My DD was a SS who converted to catcher.. mostly because she had a gun and wasn't afraid of the ball.

Which is why I didn't understand why my daughter was playing LF, especially after she almost backdoored a girl rounding 1st on a hit to LF, and the only reason she didn't was the 1B coach knew my DD's arm and was screaming at the girl to get back on the bag.

Jun 8, 2016
I played SS my whole life sans 1 year in college where I played second. My father told me to have my kids play CF, a lot less stressful on the parents :cool: Unfortunately (at times) I didn't listen as my DD plays MI...
Luckily my DD doesn't pitch or catch..I wouldn't be able to take that. I have two other younger kids (sons 3 YO and 5 month old) so we'll see about them...

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2009
DD has mostly played IF until this past year, never saw IF this year except pitching.

She made 1 good catch and 3 routine catches this weekend.

Wonder if I should ask her to start dropping balls?

Being sarcastic a little bit but give her a chance at IF too. She is better at IF then OF, give her a chance.

End rant.

Maybe she could play incredibly shallow in the outfield so as to get the same feeling as playing the infield. If anybody asks she just says she saw a documentary on Jim Edmonds. I'm an ideas guy, what can I say?

Andy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad