DD Video

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
It isn't "the upper body doesn't put on the brakes fast enough". It is more that she is trying to get an extra "oomph" by throwing her torso forward.

Take a look at these...

Finch really, really keeps the upper torso back.

Sarah Pauly is more upright...but notice that she isn't "throwing her shoulders toward the catcher". Video also has an excellent view of IR, by the way.

Again, your DD is doing great. She is a very advanced pitcher for her age. Most people would be hopping up and down if their kid was this good. But, you asked for some criticisms, and you got it.

Sluggers ... what pitch is Pauly throwing in the above video clip?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Try the "Carolina Walk Through"...she does a walk through, but after she throws, she keeps her right foot off the ground until the ball is returned to her by the catcher. If her shoulders are too far out in front of her knees, she'll fall forward.

WiZ

Feb 11, 2010
Im strickly a novice who has spent a lot of time sitting on a bucket at lessons. My daughter had the same issues and what we noticed was that her drag foot was always sideways (as is your daughters at the exact point she is leaning forward). So, we worked at straightening out her toe (less resistance in the drag) and she doesnt lean forward nearly as much. Her instructor used the boat oar analogy. Turned one way its slices through the water with little resistance. Turned sideways its SO difficult to pull through the water slowing the bottom half of her body down thus the leaning forward. Just my two cents.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
She looks great. Maybe her release can be improved a little, but seriously, we are getting into a case of diminishing returns.

When you make a good soup, stew or sauce, sometimes you have to step back and let it cook for a while. That is what I recommend...don't anything more with her this year. You and she should enjoy the coming softball season. Next year's focus should be on speed, accuracy, and pitches.

Five Frame: Pauly is throwing a fastball.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2009
Thanks SLUGGERS . Can't wait till TB starts. It sure makes this easier with someone else's eyes.
P.S. You would really drop TN down?

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
You have got to use slo-mo with high shutter speed to really see the details of her mechanics. My overall impression of her motion is good, but I have been fooled many times before and like to see video to be sure.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd